Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 San Andreas frame with a DNM coil shock which I rode for a couple of years before moving the parts over to a BigHit Comp. I was thinking about getting rid of the frame and building up something like an Orange 5. ( I have a Scott Spark as a race bike). I am now considering keeping the frame seeing as it's similar to the 5 and I won't get much for it.

As far as I remember the 6" frames where just the same as the 4" but the longer shock screwed with the BB and head angle. When I rode the bike (6" rear/5" Stratos FR4's front) I seem to remember it suffered from:

> a bit of bob, this was pre "clever" shocks
> sky high BB...
> steep head angle
> poor mud clearance (UK trails)

These are all well known, so I was thinking of fitting something like an RP 23 to tame the bob, and reduce the travel to 5" to lower the BB height and fit something like a Talas up front. Has anyone done this? What shock and fork would work well for AM duties, nothing big just a nice trail bike for some fun. I have read about different eye to eye and stroke lengths and shock mounts which reduce the head angle but would like some clarity on the subject.

Or should I just sell it and get an Orange?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thoroughly recommend the SA in 4.5 - 5 inch set up - bought a 2003 XC and found that this was enough for me (riding in the UK though). It had a Float RL which I had converted to propedal by Mojo, and it's been great - very stable (although I do still use lockout on steep climbs).

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
You're better off running a 6.5" shock on the pre 2003 San Ans, with a fork somewhere around 120-130mm.
Fox and Manitou seem to work best on them.
An air shock will make the rear more progressive, while a coil will make it more linear and plush.

Tire clearance on the rear, should be OK up to 2.3" / 52mm, but I have to admit, I've heard horror stories about U.K. mud.
My 06 San An swingarm has about 10mm clearance between it and a 2.35 Maxxis Minion.
It's true about the BB height on the later San Ans, but it does give you the ability to hammer over obstacles.
Another option besides the Orange, is the Mountain Cycle Fury.
Orange Sub 5s were always cool too though. :D

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
I'm not sure about BB height, that really varies on the San Ans, depending on things like axle to crown height, tires etc.
I'm guessing here, but I think it should be somewhere around 14.5" (368 mm).
I think with a 130mm fork, you should get between 68 and 70 deg.s of head angel.
With the 6.5" eye to eye shock, you should get about 4.5" (114mm) travel.
Some of the guys have more experience with the older San Ans than I do, I wish they'd speak up.

·
Registered
558 Posts
happybiker said:
Thanks Ericmopar, anyone else with experience on this?
I have never used a 6.5" shock on any of my San Ans... Sorry. Your BB would probably be in the low 14" range. It does however seem like a good idea. You should give it a go:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.