Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brown santa just delivered it this afternoon. XL Lenz Leviathan. I had Devin do it all anodized black, very very sharp. It weighed in at a smooth 5.66 lbs. (2560 grams). Build pics to follow, I took off early this afternoon and tomorrow to get it built and take it for the first ride. More pics to follow.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Beeeutiful

I can't wait to see the full build. Awesome

My big question is how did you hang that little tiny bird feeder from the seatclamp and will you ride with that on it?

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
80% Done

Well I thought I would go ahead and show what I've got so far. I got held up on the front derailleur, brand new XTR took it out of the box and it was not the size I had ordered. I hope I can find one tomorrow. Here's the build list, the goal is 26 lbs.

XL Leviathan
WB BW 1.0 air
FSA Team carbon crankset
FSA platinum TI BB
Thomson Seatpost
Thomson Stem
Maxm MX-5 carbon bar
SLR gel saddle
XTR shifters, front & rear derailleurs
XT disc calipers
Oury Lock-on grips
Salsa Delgado 32h/ WTB Laser Disc Lite
Maxxis Ignitors
Conti tubes
Avid cables
Wipperman Connex 9 speed chain-Black/Silver

Attachments

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it is calculated like this: ground to center rear axel = 14 7/8", ground to center bb = 13 5/8". Subtract bb height from axel height = 1.25" bb drop.

Steve

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
cruzthepug said:
I think it is calculated like this: ground to center rear axel = 14 7/8", ground to center bb = 13 5/8". Subtract bb height from axel height = 1.25" bb drop.

Steve
So only 31.75mm BB drop? That seems like a lot less than all the other frames on this board. I thought 50mm Fishers are now about the tallest ones, and KM's are about 68mm?

·
climb
2,293 Posts
I would think you still have to add in the 'sag' from the shock when the bike is weighted to get a more accurate value.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Cruz must be out enjoying the ride too much to take the time to type up a ride report for us.

I'd be really interested as I'm looking for something like this as a fun trail bike/XC racer. Hmmm, a Leviathan, Buzzbomb or Asylum?

Cheers!
-Ian

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well I've only got about 70-80 miles on the Leviathan so far, I've about got the pressures dialed in. The ride is as nice as I had expected, but the handling is far better. We ride alot of tight twisty singletrack and this thing eats it up. The steering is a little quicker than my KM (WB 1.0 coil). Monday is single speed ride day and the first ride on the monkey after riding the Lenz the KM felt very sluggish. Climbing is by far the best feature I like so far. The trails around here have short but steep climbs. Before on my old 26" fs I would usually spin out on a root or rock and only make it 1 out of 5 times. Now on those same hills I'm cleaning it almost every time. I did put on a setback seatpost and I have to be careful on the climbs to move a little forward to keep the front on the ground, but it's not a problem. I may try going back to the straight post and a little longer stem to get the cockpit right.

I'm running Maxxis Ignitors on both front and rear and they have handled every thing I've thrown ot them. I've also ordered a Stans kit to try.

The Fox RP3 is a little difficult to figure out. It does ride stiff, even when set to "plush" it seems a little stiff, but when hammering through the rocky stuff the suspension works like a charm.

I will be building up an Asylum this weekend for a new convert. My buddy Jeff had to have a 29er after riding mine. I'll post a side by side comparison w/pics later. That's all for now.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
cruzthepug said:
Well I've only got about 70-80 miles on the Leviathan so far, I've about got the pressures dialed in. The ride is as nice as I had expected, but the handling is far better. We ride alot of tight twisty singletrack and this thing eats it up. The steering is a little quicker than my KM (WB 1.0 coil). Monday is single speed ride day and the first ride on the monkey after riding the Lenz the KM felt very sluggish. Climbing is by far the best feature I like so far. The trails around here have short but steep climbs. Before on my old 26" fs I would usually spin out on a root or rock and only make it 1 out of 5 times. Now on those same hills I'm cleaning it almost every time. I did put on a setback seatpost and I have to be careful on the climbs to move a little forward to keep the front on the ground, but it's not a problem. I may try going back to the straight post and a little longer stem to get the cockpit right.

I'm running Maxxis Ignitors on both front and rear and they have handled every thing I've thrown ot them. I've also ordered a Stans kit to try.

The Fox RP3 is a little difficult to figure out. It does ride stiff, even when set to "plush" it seems a little stiff, but when hammering through the rocky stuff the suspension works like a charm.

I will be building up an Asylum this weekend for a new convert. My buddy Jeff had to have a 29er after riding mine. I'll post a side by side comparison w/pics later. That's all for now.

Steve
Cruz, thats a nice one. I ditched my RP3 after two rides for an older Float RL. It was soo much nicer in both suspension action and then being able to fully lock it out when needed. The cool thing about the Float RL is that when it locks out its topped out/fully extended making your climbing geometry steeper, rather than sagging in the travel. It feels much peppier this way to me.

If you have rolling, short hills, the RP3 might be better overall, but I have long climbs and the traditional lock out made a night and day difference on mine. It totally changed it. The lockout does have a blow by as well so if you hit something like a water bar while climbing it will still compress. Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I will be building up an Asylum this weekend for a new convert. My buddy Jeff had to have a 29er after riding mine. I'll post a side by side comparison w/pics later.
Sweet! I'll be eagerly awaiting your impressions. That is, if I don't go out and buy something before then. ;)

Cheers!
-Ian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.