Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...I've only been riding for the last 4-5 months but having some issues I hope someone can help me with. First I ride a hardtail with what was front suspension before my forks blew out. Which leeds me to my first issue. My fork blew out, and now I need to replace it but I'm not sure which one to go with. I'm a big guy pushing 280lbs. at 6' but I'm working on that. :) I ride 3-4times a week with the younger folks from my office at lunch time and would like to be able to do more of the "downhill fun" they go down. Second issue is when I'm putting a lot of force down on my downstroke my chain rubs on the front derailer. Is there a stronger crankset I should look at or is it something I have to live with. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Regarding the fork issue, I would look for a fork with a similar amount of travel (your profile says the bike is a Giant ATX. Give us the year, and we can recommend forks in that travel range) but of "better" quality and one with larger stanchions (stanchions = tubes). I'm a larger rider, and I can tell you from experience that you probably want something with 32mm stanchions. You might get a way with 30mm so long as the fork has a reputation for being stiff. As for the crankset issue, it could be as simple as a cable adjustment. If it's definitely an issue of your cranks flexing, then yes, there are cranks that are made to be stiff. It's really going to boil down to how much you want to spend to solve the problems you are experiencing.

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:

I don't remember the exact year of the bike but I beleive it is a 2000. As far as the Cranks go I don't want to spend a lot since I'm considering building up a FS but I don't want to ride something that has the possibility of breaking either, so I figure I need to spend some on upgrading. THaks for the feed back so far.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
A ridgid fork will be much stronger than suspension. LIfe is full of trade offs!

As for the flexy cranks it is much more likely that you are flexing the frame at the bottom bracket. This is fairly common. you may be able to minimize the rub by adjusting the front derailer. Try spinning a lower gear. Lower torque but higher rpms. You will keep the same speed and put less pressure on your frame.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
DM: welcome to the sport!

If you want to stay with a sus fork check out a RS Tora. Amazing value in a tough easy to adjust (tune) platform. It can be set at 80 or 100mm travel so should work fine with an ATX.

You may find the below a strange reply to the chain rub issue, so I'm just asking you to trust me on this:

I suggest you get a cyclo computer thats displays your cadence (crank speed) and shoot for 90 RPM all the time. You won't be able to hold it all the time, but the more time you spend near 90 RPM the better you will be able to produce power, for lots of reasons that don't matter at this point. Don't worry, progress will be slow for a while. It is very unnatural for the body to produce power by turning circles. It will happen. One day you will find yourself just flying up a hill and wonder how it seemed to happen all of a sudden.

Lastly, at 6', you may want to consider a bike with 29" wheels for that FS rig you are thinking of. I'm 6'3" and 220# but carry a heavy pack for long rides. I hope to never ride a 26" wheeled bike ever again, for many reasons. The 29er forum is just a click away...

Riding off road with a vengance since '85.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.