Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping maybe TrekMitch can chime in but feel free if you know the answer.

The previous version of these wheels supposedly weighed 1390 grams and the just released version weighs 1290 grams so 100 grams difference in weight. Where is the weight loss coming from? I can get 40 grams difference since the newer wheels are now using 24 spokes versus 28 spokes so 8 spokes/nipples is about 40 grams but where is the other 60g loss coming from? Lighter rim? Lighter hubs? Just wondering. I wouldn't think they are including the weight of those heavy rim strips in the previous version and then deleting them in the new version weights but don't know. Previous version which I own work great without the TLR rim strip and just using yellow tape

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh, so lighter hub shells with DT internals probably. Thanks. Nice wheels. You got yourself a few sets there. Wonder if the edge of the rim is slightly different from the previous rim. Seems like I read it somewhere to make it work better with tape but I have never had a problem with the previous version and running stans yellow tape

·
Community Manager at Trek
592 Posts
Looks like you got your answer, but just wanted to mention the rim has changed as well as the hub design.

Apologies for the delayed answer as I was running around setting up our Trek 100 event which happened this past Saturday!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.