Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Now wr rollin on a Boom!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am the fully satisfied owner of 2 older generations of Soma Juice-- the red-orange no-gusset-on-downtube and the gusseted apple-green beauty--

...but I always wanted sliding dropouts. The track drops/disc combo has been the only thing I didn't love for the last 8 years.

So my question for those who have tried the old gens and the new generation Brownstone frames with the sliders is: does it stil soak up the bumps in the same smooothe and wonderful way?

Is it heavier? steer better/worse/the same? did the shorter stays make it stiffer + harsher?

Thanks all!
--J

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
I have not ridden the old one, but i have the new one. It is smooth, the sliders are great, and the oversized headtube allows for a modern tapered fork. It went together smoothly and rides great from my experience.

·
Now wr rollin on a Boom!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, mack_turtle! Good to know.
Anyone else?
And, maybe has anyone tried the belt drive frame yet?

·
achiever
1,017 Posts
I'll throw my 2 cents in: I haven't ridden an older gen Juice but I'm on a brownstone one now & it is very, very well damped. I'm pretty small too, & at 142lbs it feels great. Loving the sliding drop outs, as well.

For a bit of reference, my last 3 bikes were a rigid On One Scandal, On One Lurcher & a Vassago Bandersnatch. I won't bother comparing the On Ones but the Juice is way smoother & more compliant than the Vassago which is steel, also.

·
Forgetful nutcase
29 Posts
Having had both old and new,I'd say the new one rides as well as the old. Steering to me feels about the same,and bumps are smoothed right out. I didn't get rid of my old frame until I was sure. My juice is my go to bike for daily riding after all. Hope it helps.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
My frame is plenty stiff where it needs to be, but it's compliant enough that getting on this frame after an AL hardtail is like riding FS. Absolutely the ONLY complaint I've ever had about this frame is that finding a seat post collar for it was nearly impossible - I finally found a place (over a year ago now) where they weren't out of stock. But it took two weeks to find one after I got the frame. Yeah. It's not really a problem with the frame, is it?

·
achiever
1,017 Posts
Absolutely the ONLY complaint I've ever had about this frame is that finding a seat post collar for it was nearly impossible - I finally found a place (over a year ago now) where they weren't out of stock. But it took two weeks to find one after I got the frame.
I used a 29.8mm Thomson seat post collar which was readily available & works great.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
I used a 29.8mm Thomson seat post collar which was readily available & works great.
Ok. All I'm saying is in March 2014 Thompson, Soma, and about three other places that make 29.8mm collars were ALL out of stock. I'm not implying no one makes them. Heck, Soma makes them. Just, no one had any in stock in March 2014.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts