Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Monkey sort of got demoted/reassigned with the Comandante's presence.

I commute to work daily, and have been riding SS most of the time as the commute is up and down some rather steep but short (less than 2-3 min) hills. I don't go much faster on a geary on the way up, and certainly not on the way down.

Once a week, work is now taking me the other direction down (or up) a much less steep, but much longer (probably 2 mile) hill. Additionally, the commute the other way has a slight amount of singletrack, and about four miles of Rails to Trails cinder type dirt trail with false flats and wind that can either hurt or help you. I was spinning out too much with the SS. I can't get by with any steeper gearing for that bike due to the other steep hills, so it was time for a geary.

Enter the Monkey "monster cross"

The stem has been swapped for a 135X40 Salsa, and I still find the bars a bit low when I ride in the drops continuously for more than about 20 minutes. Why did I cut that inch off the steerer.:madman: Also the bike is too long for me with the drops. I could stand a TT about 1-2" less ideally. A 135X70 degree stem would solve both problems, but I don't think they exist.

The parts are all stuff I found in the garage. I am happy with the bar end shifters. Ideally I would like less than 9 speeds in the rear since I only use 3-4, but that is what I had laying around. Note the Ghetto bar wrap.

Brakes are Mullet...BB7 front and V-Brake in the real The roady levers will pull just enough to work if you keep them close to the rotor/rim. Not ideal but eh.

What I have noticed riding in the drops in a lower/longer position than usual is how dang fast this thing can go, even with the whopper tires. Aerodynamics really rule at higher speeds.

I am getting sore mainly in the back of my neck trying to see ahead of me while tucked over. I don't know how pro roadies do it. Not sore anywhere else. If my neck could take it, I could hold the drops for hours otherwise. The hands did get sore after about a 2 hour day in the saddle over some bumpy terrain.

Anyway, it is a very fun and versatile bike. No need for a Crosscheck for me.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Lots of us have reassigned our Monkeys to commuter duty. It's still an honorable profession for a KM, and frankly I rack up a lot more miles commuting than I do mountain biking.

·