Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am all set I got my armor and full face and I am ready to hit Diablo this weekend for the first time. I have some questions though first I will be riding a Cannondale Jekyll. Will I be able to get away with riding this bike there? Also I dont want to hit any jumps so what trials should I ride. Once again this is my first time going to Diablo and I dont want to come flying down a trail that has a 10 foot jump on it. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
welcome to Diablo...

Datdude68 said:
Ok I am all set I got my armor and full face and I am ready to hit Diablo this weekend for the first time. I have some questions though first I will be riding a Cannondale Jekyll. Will I be able to get away with riding this bike there? Also I dont want to hit any jumps so what trials should I ride. Once again this is my first time going to Diablo and I dont want to come flying down a trail that has a 10 foot jump on it. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
drops and jumps usually have alternate ways down. You can always stop once you approach it. The little dirt "kicker" jumps can be tricky if you are not used to them. These are sometimes built into the easier trails.

Easy and Intermediate trails should be ok for a Jeckyl if you have a strong, decent wheelset. I would be a little hesitant if running a true XC set up.

Stay off the black diamonds....from a comfort standpoint.

have fun and be safe.

Ask other riders for trail advice. The community of bikers is always very helpful.

Full face + armor is good to have regardless of skill level.
 

·
I like air!
Joined
·
915 Posts
Datdude68 said:
Ok I am all set I got my armor and full face and I am ready to hit Diablo this weekend for the first time. I have some questions though first I will be riding a Cannondale Jekyll. Will I be able to get away with riding this bike there? Also I dont want to hit any jumps so what trials should I ride. Once again this is my first time going to Diablo and I dont want to come flying down a trail that has a 10 foot jump on it. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
I ride there every weekend. All I have to say is that you would have a lot more fun if you just rented a DH bike there. They have Iron Horse Sundays with 06 Boxxer Teams. I had the chance to take one for a spin and they felt real nice. Especially since Alpine has become a expert trail it really limits the trails which you can enjoy an XC bike. The other thing is that there are a bunch of small drops all over the place that would be easy on a DH rig and not so fun on an XC bike.
 

·
Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
Joined
·
603 Posts
milhouse said:
not so fun on an XC bike.
The jekyll is not an XC bike. Yeah its not as much travel as your IH SGS DH TEAM but for what Datdude68 is looking to do, it will work out fine. I've done some ok stuff with the old c-dale jekyll and she held up fine. If my memory serves me we talked about this earlier this year...

Datdude68, my advice and I am no expert (I have never been to diablo let alone every weekend). But what I would do is take the first couple runs slow, see what stunts are on the trails and how big they are and stuff. Walk arount them and look at them. This way you learn whats where and what you can do. Once you kinda figure stuff out then ride like a bat out of hell.

The stupidest thing to do would be to bomb down a new (well new to you trail) and go flying off a cliff you know? Just use that gray matter between your ears and you'll be fine.

milhouse, dude no bad feelings here I'm just saying that the jekyll is not a toothpick of an XC rig and if Datadude uses some brains he''ll have a good trip. And you are soo luck to live cloose enuff to a park like Diablo to be there every weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Give it a shot on your own bike and see how you go. I rode there for the first time a few weeks ago - have now been there twice on my 05 Enduro (old style frame). While I wasn't as quick over the rock gardens as the bigger bikes I still had a blast and was able to hit some of the smaller drops (up to 4-5') no problem. Just don't what I did, and follow someone without paying attention, to find you've just hit a near 5 foot drop....:thumbsup:

The blue intermediate trail is fun - a few tricky parts but no big drops. Try the drop progression area to get a feel for dropping onto the transitions - you'll be surprised how smooth they feel. The jump line (Dominion) is also fun, as it is all table tops and you can roll everything if you're not up to hitting them too fast. Likewise with Alpine - at the weekend we saw a guy on a very old specialized and a xc helmet hitting that.

you'll have a great time, just take it easy and watch out if it's wet - those rocks are tricky!
 

·
I like air!
Joined
·
915 Posts
Jekyll_Jockey said:
The jekyll is not an XC bike. Yeah its not as much travel as your IH SGS DH TEAM but for what Datdude68 is looking to do, it will work out fine. I've done some ok stuff with the old c-dale jekyll and she held up fine. If my memory serves me we talked about this earlier this year...

Datdude68, my advice and I am no expert (I have never been to diablo let alone every weekend). But what I would do is take the first couple runs slow, see what stunts are on the trails and how big they are and stuff. Walk arount them and look at them. This way you learn whats where and what you can do. Once you kinda figure stuff out then ride like a bat out of hell.

The stupidest thing to do would be to bomb down a new (well new to you trail) and go flying off a cliff you know? Just use that gray matter between your ears and you'll be fine.

milhouse, dude no bad feelings here I'm just saying that the jekyll is not a toothpick of an XC rig and if Datadude uses some brains he''ll have a good trip. And you are soo luck to live cloose enuff to a park like Diablo to be there every weekend.
Dude, you have never been to Diablo and you argue with me on this every time.:confused: I know what a Jekyll is and yes, it is an XC bike in my book. I have a similar travel/geometry XC bike and even with a short stem, 5 inch fork, riser bars, platform pedals, disk brakes, free-ride rims and tires it still sucked when I tried bringing it to Diablo. Thats why I always suggest to anyone going there that has a XC'ish geometry bike to rent. Not because it cant be done on an XC bike, but because its a hell of a lot more fun on a DH/FR bike.
 

·
sunday
Joined
·
111 Posts
Jekyll_Jockey said:
The jekyll is not an XC bike. Yeah its not as much travel as your IH SGS DH TEAM but for what Datdude68 is looking to do, it will work out fine. I've done some ok stuff with the old c-dale jekyll and she held up fine. If my memory serves me we talked about this earlier this year...

Datdude68, my advice and I am no expert (I have never been to diablo let alone every weekend). But what I would do is take the first couple runs slow, see what stunts are on the trails and how big they are and stuff. Walk arount them and look at them. This way you learn whats where and what you can do. Once you kinda figure stuff out then ride like a bat out of hell.

The stupidest thing to do would be to bomb down a new (well new to you trail) and go flying off a cliff you know? Just use that gray matter between your ears and you'll be fine.

milhouse, dude no bad feelings here I'm just saying that the jekyll is not a toothpick of an XC rig and if Datadude uses some brains he''ll have a good trip. And you are soo luck to live cloose enuff to a park like Diablo to be there every weekend.
the jekyll might not be a full on xc rig, but beyond the blue trails, it will most likely get chewed up and spat back out by diablo. you've also never ridden diablo, so if i were you, i wouldn't be arguing with someone who rides there every weekend.

my recomendation would be to rent either a sunday, or, if you want to spend a little less, a yakuza. both are very good bikes, and i think you'd have more fun on a big bike. i don't doubt that you'd have a blast on the jekyll, i just think that you'd have an even better time on a full on downhill bike. with the rental you'll also have a lot more trails that you could really rip. uf you don't want to rent though, you'll still have a blast, but your trail possiblities will be much more limited.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
my $.02

milhouse said:
Dude, you have never been to Diablo and you argue with me on this every time.:confused: I know what a Jekyll is and yes, it is an XC bike in my book. I have a similar travel/geometry XC bike and even with a short stem, 5 inch fork, riser bars, platform pedals, disk brakes, free-ride rims and tires it still sucked when I tried bringing it to Diablo. Thats why I always suggest to anyone going there that has a XC'ish geometry bike to rent. Not because it cant be done on an XC bike, but because its a hell of a lot more fun on a DH/FR bike.
I said above in my post that he can ride the Jekyl at Diablo (assuming it's not set up as pure XC). But I agree with Milhouse that the Jeckyl is a XC bike (or AM). It's not built for drops, stunts, or DH in general.
ANY bike can be ridden there...but to get the true experience, a DH/FR rig is probably best.
 

·
Recovering
Joined
·
1,483 Posts
A DH/FR bike is definitely more fun at Diablo, and can shorten the learning curve for you on technical terrain like that. But not everyone's made of $$$ and can afford to blow $90-110 on a rental each time they go. If you can afford it, rent. If you're on a budget, you can still have fun on the Jekyll without kiling yourself.

Last week when we were up there, as Ross said, there were a number of guys on trail bikes ranging from a hardtail to 5-6" bikes. In fact, in our group, 5 of the 10 guys were on 5-6" travel bikes. I've got vid from our last trip of Gumby dropping the 8 foot porch drop numerous times on his 6" travel Spec. Enduro all-mountain bike. This idea that you *have* to have a DH/FR bike to ride there is false. It's definitely recommended if you can afford it, but it's not necessary.

But also keep in mind that while riding a ligher trail bike up there, you're much more likely to break parts. Two of our guys on trail bikes ended up with mechanicals that ended their days- one's wheel smashed into a rock and ended up bent out by a couple inches (too much to true). You do take more risks with your equipment when you right lightweight trail stuff up there...
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top