Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Built this to give rigid singlespeeding a try. Haven't gotten around to riding it yet because of our wonderful ice storms and frigid weather. Here are a few pictures for now... not sure when I'll get a chance to ride it but will post more then.

And one with the niner

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
desmonick said:
I love my 'Wocky so much that I'm getting a Bandersnatch too. BTW, did Cyclextreme happen to build that Niner?
Nope, ordered the frame through my LBS (waukee cycles) and had them build it up with my parts. They do a great job, went to a few other bike shops in the area but definitely like their service best. The wheels on the jabber started their life on the niner.

I'm hoping to be happy with these bikes next year. I bought too many bikes this year!

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
tiflow, any first impressions on how the Vassago compares to the MCR, especially size-wise? I've narrowed by next bike choice down to a 20" Jabberwocky and an XL SIR9, and would love to know.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ryder1 said:
tiflow, any first impressions on how the Vassago compares to the MCR, especially size-wise? I've narrowed by next bike choice down to a 20" Jabberwocky and an XL SIR9, and would love to know.
Due to the icy weather that never ends I haven't been able to get much ride time in on the jabber. With limited ride time I'll give you my thoughts after jumping back and forth between the bikes a bit. The jabber is definitely smaller. There's more stand over clearance on the jabber and it's geometry makes it a little longer and lower. The MCR is definitely larger, if you place the bikes side by side you can see a big difference just by looking at the bikes. The geometry is fairly different though so you can't always go by looks. If you're much taller than I am (6'5") you might need to be concerned with the frame being too small. I feel like the MCR sizing is just right for me, where the jabber is right on the edge.

Once I get a substantial amount of ride time in (which may be awhile) I'll post more of a ride comparison. The jabber feels great riding around, but until I really get out and beat it up on trails in semi good shape (eg: not snowy/slushy/icy) I don't feel qualified to give an impression. I will definitely say the MCR is an amazing ride though. I got about 4-5 months of hard riding in on it and continue to be impressed. I don't think you can go wrong with a SIR or MCR. I even raced the MCR some this fall and have been nothing but impressed. I'm sure an air9 might be slightly stiffer but the forgiveness of the MCR really helps when you're nearing the end of a race and your body starts getting beat up.

going29AZ said:
Man, there is just something sexy about a black Jabber! Nice build, now go get her dirty!
Trust me.. I'm dying to get it dirty. The never ending ice storms in the midwest are making it nearly impossible to ride. We have seen weather as cold as -30 degrees with windchill to 50 degrees and sunny in the past few weeks. Makes for quite the mess!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
verbalkc said:
nice build man!
i'll look for my twin on the trails..:thumbsup:
Very nice! Did you start out with a carbon fork or put it on after trying steel? I almost went with a similar fork but had this nagging idea in the back of my mind that I'd break it. Couldn't really turn down the odis for the price either. I'm tempted to pick up a pair of the RR 2.4s but they're pricey.

·
Registered
55 Posts
since the cf fork was not in when the rest of the bike was built i got a loner odis for a couple months. the odis is the best steel fork i've riden, but a little more vibration dampening and dropping almost a pound off the front was a welcomed change when swapped out for the origin8.

i ran 2.25 rr last year...i will not run them again. too high of a risk with the thin sidewalls. it wasn't until fall that i finally cut a sidewall, but they had multiple scatches which were constantly wet to the touch with stans oozing through. that said they were a really nice gripping tire in all the conditions i road and raced in.

i don't think a 2.4 rr will fit in the rear stays of the jabber without rubbing (however the 09's might have a little more room). this year i will probably run a tubeless combination of crossmarks, karmas, nanos, or ignitors on the stans arches.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
verbalkc said:
since the cf fork was not in when the rest of the bike was built i got a loner odis for a couple months. the odis is the best steel fork i've riden, but a little more vibration dampening and dropping almost a pound off the front was a welcomed change when swapped out for the origin8.

i ran 2.25 rr last year...i will not run them again. too high of a risk with the thin sidewalls. it wasn't until fall that i finally cut a sidewall, but they had multiple scatches which were constantly wet to the touch with stans oozing through. that said they were a really nice gripping tire in all the conditions i road and raced in.

i don't think a 2.4 rr will fit in the rear stays of the jabber without rubbing (however the 09's might have a little more room). this year i will probably run a tubeless combination of crossmarks, karmas, nanos, or ignitors on the stans arches.
Thanks for the info! I've heard the cf fork really does drop some weight, but I've also heard nothing but good things about the odis. Figure I'll give it a try for awhile and see how it feels. I've always been more worried about durability than weight so it's hard for me to put carbon on my mountain bikes.. but there's just something that draws me towards it.

I appreciate the feedback on the RRs. I wasn't sure if the 2.4 would fit on the rear, but was thinking possibly 2.4/2.25. If they're fairly fragile I'll probably stay away though, nothing ruins a good day or race like equipment failure. I have also considered the crossmark as a rear tire. Currently I have an ignitor in the rear but it's a bit nobbier than I originally noticed. I'm considering swapping it with something that has a bit less rolling resistance after some ride time, I have a small block 8 I may try before jumping to the crossmark.

·
Registered
55 Posts
yeah, the odis is a really nice fork. when the weather clears up you're welcome to try my jabber to feel the ride difference.

you may want to keep the nobbies on until may or so, just because you'll be riding through some muck until then. right now i've got a 2.4 mountain king on the front for the winter months.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I've always wondered truthfully how durable the Racing Ralphs were. I am going to Arkansas for the Ouachita challenge and was kind of thinking about those tires. I used to own a 2.4 Nobby Nic and the sidewalls were paper thin. I just don't think I can trust those tires. Especially at the price they are charging for them.

Not to talk about tires, but that is an awesome looking ride. I have to mentally hold myself back from buying one every time I see one. I love the looks of the ODIS fork as well. I am going to run an Origin8 fork this year part time to supplement the occassional suspension usage. I also ran that exact tire combo at the end of the season. It ran very well. I think the Weirwolf/Python would be my go to in dry weather this coming season. The Ignitor is great all around rear tire.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
verbalkc said:
yeah, the odis is a really nice fork. when the weather clears up you're welcome to try my jabber to feel the ride difference.

you may want to keep the nobbies on until may or so, just because you'll be riding through some muck until then. right now i've got a 2.4 mountain king on the front for the winter months.
Kent! I wasn't sure if that was you. The kc on your screen name made me think kansas city for some reason. Your jabber was actually the one that inspired this build! I loved the 29" wheels so much and I've always considered building a single speed... now I just wish I could ride the thing. We'll have to get out and ride once the weather clears up a bit.. something tells me I won't be able to keep up though! I had actually meant to ask you what gearing you're running around here? Figure I'll try 32x18 first, not sure if my legs will agree though.. especially on hillside.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.