Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are now shipping the full carbon Fenix Road framesets.The Road market is new to us and we want Intense owners and fans to help us spread the word, so, as a special intro offer we have dropped the price to $1395 for frame and fork. We also have SRAM Force and Rival build kits. check with your local Intense dealer for more details.

Attachments

·
1,247 Posts
ooo!
how much is the full price of the frame? And is the fork rebranded as Intense... or is it made in-house? I'm assuming the frame is manufactured in Temecula as with all the mtb frames?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
unfluid one said:
ooo!
how much is the full price of the frame? And is the fork rebranded as Intense... or is it made in-house? I'm assuming the frame is manufactured in Temecula as with all the mtb frames?
Noooo, it is made in *cough* Asia.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Its a deal, its a steal...

I heard they were made by Pinarello (or some other top end road frame manufacturer - no shame in that) as to whether Paul will shed any light on this I know not ;-) Who cares where its made, as long as its quality.

Paul - Will they be available in the UK at a special price?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
U.K. price

The price to opur U.K. distributor has been reduced but with shipping, duties, taxes VAT etc. I cant predict what the final retail price will be. The frames are made by an Asian manufacturer, the same guys who make the Pinarello carbon frames among others.

·
Penny's my cow-cat
303 Posts
Huh

Why even go the Asian route? Another American bike company (maybe the last) going the Asian way. If you can't make the frames yourself (you are frame builders?) then don't make them at all. This is very dissapointing news for me and hope this dosen't trickle down to your Mtn-bike line as well. And I care where MY frames are built by the way! Bad, Bad on you Intense!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Easy there Cowboy-

Any shop can tell you that as far as road frames go Carbon is King as of lately. Intense definitely MAKES their mtb frames NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!!!! Had aluminum been a viable market still my prediction is that they would sell the $hit out of them if they were US made Aluminum frames. I don't have any grief or gripe about their carbon coming from Asia........you'd probably be surprised how many frames are coming from over seas that are labeled as being from elsewhere. All I care is that they keep up the good work on the Mountain side of things (and I'm sure they will). I'm not a roadie and don't plan on becomming one but i am so impressed with Intense that if i do get a road frame this year (it's good cross training for racing MTB's)I'm 99% sure it would be one of theirs..........at least labeled as an Intense. Not trying to start any back and forth arguing don't get me wrong, but don't knock it 'til you ride it;) E2

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why Asia

I appreciate your comments and concerns and will attempt to explain our Road Frame decision.First and foremost, We want to be up front about its origin and in no way are we claiming that it is a U.S. made product.

When we looked into producing a road frame, it become obvious that the high end road consumer wants carbon fiber. We produce the finest aluminum frames in the world here in Temecula and will continue to do so but we are not set up to produce carbon frames. Aside from Trek and maybe Calfee, I dont believe anyone is. Unfortunately, not everything can be produced here at a reasonable cost. I would be willing to bet that an Intense mtb frame has more U.S. content than anything out there.Not only do we cut, weld and heat treat the frames here, in house, but we also do all of our own cnc parts, dropouts, links, bolts etc. When it comes time to build the complete bike,though, all of the derailers, shifters, tires, saddles, grips and most of the brakes, wheels, bars and stems come from Asian manufacturers.

I meet many Intense owners out on the trail and at events. When the conversation turns to road bikes most are proud to tell me about their carbon Colnago, Pinarello, Scott, Cervelo etc. and that they would have bought an Intense had we offered one.That was one of the main factors in starting a road program here at Intense. I have been fortunate in my career and have had the chance to ride and race many high end road frames over the years. I would put our Fenix right up with the best all around road frames out there, regardless of where it is made.

I am open to suggestions. Should we stay out of the Road market and let Cervelo and Scott have that business? or should we try to go against the tide and offer a U.S. made aluminum road bike at a carbon price?

As we look at our 2008 line and beyond these are important questions. I am always interested in the opinions of you the Intense owners and fans.

Let me know what you think.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
pecusick said:
When it comes time to build the complete bike,though, all of the derailers, shifters, tires, saddles, grips and most of the brakes, wheels, bars and stems come from Asian manufacturers.
Uh-oh! :eek: Cowboy-jeff will now have to sell off all components on his bike that are not made in the US of A. :p

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Pecusick, thanks, for the answer. I have no problem with bikes made in other countries as long as a company is not cheating about the origin of the bike. So no problem with Intense as I never got the impression that you were trying to predict your road bikes are US made.
For me the big question is where do you want to head with the company? Intense was and still is known for making the fastest race bikes available, mainly in the gravity part of mountainbiking. I can see that a company can't live on that alone and tries to diversify, but I also see that a lot of racers are waiting for their new M3s and Socoms for next season. So obviously there is a huge demand for those frames. You probably read my comments about getting into the 29er buisness. It is another thing, beside the road market, that is currently trendy and lots of companies are jumping into this market. And this is what separates Intense from other manufacturers: they don't need to follow a trend, they create them. I think there are many firsts in the history of Intense, so why now start to follow?
This road bike thing will earn you money for sure, but it is also risky as it changes the image of a company. Suddenly Intense IS just another player like Scott, Santa Cruz etc., however they have higher prices. So why then not just buy from another brand? See my point?
So why not just being more innovative then all the others? Gearbox DH bike, VPP suspended road bike (although not UCI legal it would be a nice tool to crosstrain), DJ hardtail that looks different from all those others and is lighter, new lighter Tazer.....
There are other companies out there that survive with high prices and innovative ideas even if they produce in their home countries. Nicolai comes to my mind here. They offer a wide product range, are a leader in gearbox development AND offer aluminum road frames, everything made in Germany. However, they offer their customers, besides the normal production bikes, full custom options, from sizing to finish! I can see Intense more in this corner and not going head to head with brands like Scott.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
i agree with a lot you said. but intense just simply makes good chit and selling road bikes does anything bad to the brand. as long as it's good chit. :thumbsup: just watch, mtbrx will buy it and post pics!

anyway i think you're onto something when you mention a hardtail tazer...LOOONG overdue! you hear me P?

finally(to to you irider) such a blanket statement implying that frames from asia is 'bad' is naive and foolish!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
misctwo said:
finally(to to you irider) such a blanket statement implying that frames from asia is 'bad' is naive and foolish!
I never said that made in asia is 'bad'! Nothing wrong with Giant, Specialized, K2, Jamis, GT, Scott, Transition.... they all make good 'chit' as you said... in asia. Heck, the bike biz is a global market. I just don't think that a bike made in asia should carry the name Intense! Do you think that Intense belongs on the list of manufacturers above? I don't! It goes more along the lines of companies with names like Foes, Turner, Nicolai, Ventana....

Just on more thing: the owner of Nicolai (Karl-Heinz Nicolai) answered to the question why they produce everything in house in Germany: Because we love to live and work here! Same seems to be true for the Intense guys. 'nuff said!

·
Registered
864 Posts
pecusick said:
We are now shipping the full carbon Fenix Road framesets (...)a special intro offer we have dropped the price to $1395 for frame and fork.
So what would the normal price of this frame/fork look like?

I am sitting on the fence of updating bike stable of one (trail bike, race bike, drop bike, road bike= 2001 Tracer) and add a hardtail scott scale, maybe try to trade the tracer in for a spider fro, or to buy a new road bike. If this intro price is really a good deal it might just tip me over to go with the fenix...

Thanks

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
I have no problem with a made-in-Asia frame. In fact, I'd be more likely to buy it. Generally speaking, the frame makers in Asia have much better quality control systems than the companies made in America. Yes folks, this includes Intense. I had to replace all three of my Intense frames- UZZI SLX, 5.5, and UZZI VPX - when they were new because of severe quality control problems. However, I have a lot of faith in the quality control process of Asian companies doing business in the US, such as Honda, for example.

I think this is the best move Intense has made, and I look forward to them shifting the production of their aluminum frames overseas. Their designs are good, their inhouse QC stinks.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
not trying to argue BUT..........

Quality control better in Asia is a very broad statement. There are several different companies producing a TON of bikes for various manufacturers from the same facility. I have worked for a company that had some serious issues on frames from Asia.......and they were extreme problems i.e. 650 rear triangles where they were supposed to be 700c and front derailleur braze-ons welded too high, paint flaws etc. when done in huge quantities there can be huge mistakes
My point is that everyone can make mistakes, but when coming from overseas and getting huge quantities done at a time no person could keep up with putting a rear wheel in each frame to ensure proper fit, or mount a crank and front derailleur to asure proper alignment. With a carbon frame however it's made with a mold, so the chances of one of those being out of spec would be almost impossible after test molds were made and checked. I've been on the inside of recieving frames that were fresh off of the truck which was fresh from the bay recieving the Asian made frames, and it's a headache to go through 100-250 frames (after unloading all of them) and then pull each one out and double check them to make sure it is correct. Did your frames get warrantied in a timely fashion?

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
Oh yeah, my reference to quality in Asia is a broad statement. There are some really poor companies over there, but the ones that have their act together have good QC systems in place.

The problems with 3 of my 3 Intense are never timely. Sure, Intense took care of it quickly and with a smile (I drove to their facility). It was just frustrating when I wanted to ride my new pride and joy. I don't want to derail this thread too much, but in the case of my Intenses, the SLX had a severe alignment issue. The 5.5 also had an alignment issue, and all the frames they had ready to ship had the same problem. The VPX had a cable stop welded on backwards.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Blaster1200 said:
Oh yeah, my reference to quality in Asia is a broad statement. There are some really poor companies over there, but the ones that have their act together have good QC systems in place.

The problems with 3 of my 3 Intense are never timely. Sure, Intense took care of it quickly and with a smile (I drove to their facility). It was just frustrating when I wanted to ride my new pride and joy. I don't want to derail this thread too much, but in the case of my Intenses, the SLX had a severe alignment issue. The 5.5 also had an alignment issue, and all the frames they had ready to ship had the same problem. The VPX had a cable stop welded on backwards.
WOW, :eekster:

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
iRider said:
I never said that made in asia is 'bad'! Nothing wrong with Giant, Specialized, K2, Jamis, GT, Scott, Transition.... they all make good 'chit' as you said... in asia. Heck, the bike biz is a global market. I just don't think that a bike made in asia should carry the name Intense! Do you think that Intense belongs on the list of manufacturers above? I don't! It goes more along the lines of companies with names like Foes, Turner, Nicolai, Ventana....

Just on more thing: the owner of Nicolai (Karl-Heinz Nicolai) answered to the question why they produce everything in house in Germany: Because we love to live and work here! Same seems to be true for the Intense guys. 'nuff said!
irider, i meant to say 'NOT to you irider', instead of 'to to you irider'! sorry for the typo.... cowboy jeff was the culprit...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.