Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Pedal Bike
124 Posts
pecusick said:
Hot on the heels of the 4 inch travel Spider 29er comes the new 5.5 29er(actually 5.75 inches of travel) Available later this spring. Let us know what you think.
Looks like a upside down stem mount. What stem are you specing?
Funny....I'll second the "brick wall" look.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
pecusick said:
Hot on the heels of the 4 inch travel Spider 29er comes the new 5.5 29er(actually 5.75 inches of travel) Available later this spring. Let us know what you think.
PLEASE don't even think of making a 29 downhill bike!
Intense has always been recognized as THE company making the fastest gravity bikes. It kind of sucks when guys on SS 29"ers talk to you on the trail and ask you: oh, an Intense, I didn't know they are also making small wheeled freeride bikes. I just know their Spider 29! :nono: :madman: :madmax:

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
iRider said:
PLEASE don't even think of making a 29 downhill bike!
Intense has always been recognized as THE company making the fastest gravity bikes. It kind of sucks when guys on SS 29"ers talk to you on the trail and ask you: oh, an Intense, I didn't know they are also making small wheeled freeride bikes. I just know their Spider 29! :nono: :madman: :madmax:
Sounds like a perfect reason to get a 29er DH/FR bike into production.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
29Colossus said:
Sounds like a perfect reason to get a 29er DH/FR bike into production.

Any advantages?
Having no choice of tires and rims and being too large for average sized riders doesn't sound appealing to me. Also the issues with building wheels that can take the beating would be hard deal with.

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
iRider said:
Any advantages?
Having no choice of tires and rims and being too large for average sized riders doesn't sound appealing to me. Also the issues with building wheels that can take the beating would be hard deal with.
There have been 4 new bigger 29" tires come out in just the last couple of months.

Panaracer Rampage 2.35
Kenda Nevegal 2.2
WTB WeirWolf 2.55
Specialized Resolution Pro 2.3

The trend for "trail bikes" now is in the 5" travel range and unless your into doing a lot of big drops, it's not a problem to build a wheel that will hold up to everyday trail riding.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
cruzthepug said:
There have been 4 new bigger 29" tires come out in just the last couple of months.

Panaracer Rampage 2.35
Kenda Nevegal 2.2
WTB WeirWolf 2.55
Specialized Resolution Pro 2.3

The trend for "trail bikes" now is in the 5" travel range and unless your into doing a lot of big drops, it's not a problem to build a wheel that will hold up to everyday trail riding.
Are those 2 ply tires? Rim choices? Tubeless?
I was refering to the DH bike idea. I guess it is possible to build a strong enough wheel for trail riding but real DH?
BCD played around with a 29" DH bike and reduced the travel to 6" to fit the wheels. Guess in DH racing this is a dead end like 24" wheels.

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
iRider said:
Any advantages?
Don't worry, others will bring it along with their wallets so that you can come in later when the fruit is ripe, and pick up something used for a good deal so that you can go faster.

Building strong wheels is hardly a problem. :rolleyes: Just let others handle the parts you think are hard. It is already happening. You can just watch.

:cool:

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
pecusick said:
What is the weight difference between the Spider 29 and the 5.5 29? Will there be a XL or something close to a 25" ETT?

Steve

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Hot!

I'd buy one if the HA was a touch slacker (looks like at least 71 degrees with a ... what's the fork on there, anyway? I'd aim for 70 with a 130mm fork) and the BB was a bit lower. That's just eyeballing it, based on my couple years on a 5.5.

Is it going to be any more durable than the original 5.5? A 5.75" travel 29er is just begging for abuse.

p.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My bad on the photo, I will get a better one that is not so distorted.
This is the first proto and will most likely make one more with dif numbers.
Proto #1 @ 72 HA , 73 SA, 18.25 CS, 13.25 " BB with 130 fork. Current fork is new Manitou @ 120mm and am building wheel for 130 WB., 2.35 Panaracer Rampages work great.I must say this bike is a blast!! only a slight weight penalty over Spider 29.
Remember the big wheels realy change the normal geometry dynamics, and add a lot of stability @ speed, also more travel means more sag so this all relates to the head angle.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
mr intense said:
My bad on the photo, I will get a better one that is not so distorted.
This is the first proto and will most likely make one more with dif numbers.
Proto #1 @ 72 HA , 73 SA, 18.25 CS, 13.25 " BB with 130 fork. Current fork is new Manitou @ 120mm and am building wheel for 130 WB., 2.35 Panaracer Rampages work great.I must say this bike is a blast!! only a slight weight penalty over Spider 29.
Remember the big wheels realy change the normal geometry dynamics, and add a lot of stability @ speed, also more travel means more sag so this all relates to the head angle.
Thanks for the specs, Jeff.

I'm currently riding a Kona Explosif 29er (and a 6.6!), and IIRC the Explosif's HA is 71 degrees. The HA's math is steeper than it feels, but, yeah, the bike is very stable at speed. I hear what you're saying about the sag and the impact on the HA -- probably one of those gotta-try-it things.

Looking forward to another pic. This one, to me, looks steep and tall. Maybe an original 5.5 next to it for comparison's sake?

My wish list: 71 HA, 72 SA, 18.5 CS, 13.25 BB with 130 fork. The other thing on my wish list, but out of your power, is a 29er 150mm air fork! Here's hoping.

p.

·
Registered
45 Posts
All this talk of 5.5 29er this Slopestyle that is just lovely but can you get on and make some large Socom's DAMN IT!!!!! :nono:

the Slopestyle looks cool, but make the darn Socom's will you!!!

My mate has just ordered his (2nd) M3 and he is going to get it b4 I get my Socom, and I ordered in early October!!! Simon Ford is doing you guys proud over here so look after him!! :)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
29Colossus said:
Don't worry, others will bring it along with their wallets so that you can come in later when the fruit is ripe, and pick up something used for a good deal so that you can go faster.

Building strong wheels is hardly a problem. :rolleyes: Just let others handle the parts you think are hard. It is already happening. You can just watch.

:cool:
I will wait like I did with the 24" wheels, 3" tires, biopace chainrings ...., and they all never really got mainstream. Ultimately someone has to proof that they are faster by winning races! ;) Meanwhile I will rock 26" bikes and have fun. :D
These trends come and go, the good 'ol 26 will survive as it is the best compromise between stability and weight for the harder riding part of MTB-ers. I just think it is funny, in the 90s bike companies were pushing the 28" trekking bikes as being faster than mountainbikes. Some even had 28" front wheels and 26" rear wheels to combine 'advantages of both'! History repeating. So I don't see why a concept that didn't work in the 90s should work now. There is a chance though as companies are supporting the trend that know what they are doing .
BTW: I never had problems with wheels that I build ;)

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
iRider said:
I will wait like I did with the 24" wheels, 3" tires, biopace chainrings ...., and they all never really got mainstream. Ultimately someone has to proof that they are faster by winning races! ;)
And that right there is the problem. You want some racer to win something somewhere like it has ANYTHING whatsoever to do with YOU....

:skep:

I don't buy bikes based on what "racers" do or don't do. :rolleyes: I buy bikes that suit ME as a rider. I don't know why you buy bikes, but I hope it isn't because of some race....

Meanwhile I will rock 26" bikes and have fun. :D
That's nice. Have you ever ridden a 29er?

These trends come and go
So the 29er is just a "trend" huh? Have you ever ridden a 29er?

the good 'ol 26 will survive as it is the best compromise between stability and weight for the harder riding part of MTB-ers.
It is? How do you know that? How many 29er wheelsets have you ridden on? How many do you own? How many have you laced up? Better yet... how many have you tacoed or destroyed? How many spokes have you had to replace in your vast 29er wheel experience? The fact is that it is very easy to have a 29er wheel laced up that is lighter, stronger, and more stable than most 26" wheels that most people ride minus the more aggressive disciplines of the sport, and that is just a matter of time. A more FR/DH type of discipline is a perfectly good reason to avoid a 29er right now.

I just think it is funny, in the 90s bike companies were pushing the 28" trekking bikes as being faster than mountainbikes. Some even had 28" front wheels and 26" rear wheels to combine 'advantages of both'! History repeating. So I don't see why a concept that didn't work in the 90s should work now. There is a chance though as companies are supporting the trend that know what they are doing .
BTW: I never had problems with wheels that I build ;)
Suspension was the same way... and disc brakes... and aluminum frames... and clipless pedals... and and and and and... Is that stuff funny too? It took some failure before all those examples went mainstream. It was funny to a lot of people....

Ideas grow up. Materials get bettter. Methods of material use advance.

The 29er is one of those ideas. You are just watching and even describing the metamorphosis.

Have you ever ridden one??

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.