Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw on the news that there is a new indoor mountain bike park being constructed in east Boulder. It should be open in six weeks. It is being constructed by the same people that just opened the indoor road biking course (not sure what those circles are called) in east Boulder as well.

Has anyone heard of this place, know what the name is, or know what type of stunts/obstacles they are building inside?

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
smithrider said:
I just saw on the news that there is a new indoor mountain bike park being constructed in east Boulder. It should be open in six weeks. It is being constructed by the same people that just opened the indoor road biking course (not sure what those circles are called) in east Boulder as well.
Velodrome. The road biking (actually track) circle thingy is called a Velodrome. Kinda like Thunderdome, except without chainsaws or gladiator weapons and both contestants get to leave.

1,328 Posts
Boulder Indoor Cycling

"Open House Saturday, January 3rd...

To celebrate our Grand Opening, we're having an Open House on Saturday, Jan. 3rd from Noon to 6:00 PM and you're all invited! Come check us out - get out of the cold, enjoy a beer and some barbeque (provided by Dale's & Front Range Catering) and take a tour of BIC's indoor facility. We hope to see all of you...3550 Frontier Ave. Suite A, see map here."

3550 Frontier Ave
Boulder, CO 80301

Right now it seems like only the track (the "circle") is open but they're having an open house today and I'm sure you'll hear something about the future expansion. I've been told that the facility is approx 50k sqft and they're currently using (or planning to use) only 20k. The remainder to be used pending demand.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Bic

Boulder Indoor Cycling 303-CYCLING is their number.

http://boulderindoorcycling.com/Boulder-Mountain-Biking.aspx

The velodrome is pretty much finished. They have started on the MTB side of things. The MTB park is going to take up most of the velodrome infield, and there is going to be a bridge constructed over the track to the SE side of the building where there will be more stunts.

The velodrome takes up most of the building, so there is not going to be a huge area for the MTB side, but it should be enough to have some good ladders and drops.

The velodrome is mega-cool. They have exceeded their expectations for participation, and a lot of people still don't even know it exists. Also, there are a lot of pro riders in Boulder. If you happen to be there when they are really flying, it is damn impressive.

Anyone can ride the velodrome, but you must first pay $25 to become a member, then you have to be certified to ride. They hold classes for beginners. You can borrow one of their track bikes as part of the class fee. Once you are certified, it is $9 an hour to ride. The $9 includes a bike. You cannot ride a road bike, it must be a bona fide track bike with at least 11.5" of BB height and 165mm cranks and of course a fixed gear. The banking is 45 degrees and a bike with longer cranks and/or lower BB will hit the banking. This means that Langster Vegas fixie you just bought will not be allowed.

You can just drop in and check the place out. It is in a small industrial park at the SW corner of Foothills Parkway and Pearl Street in Boulder. Get off of Foothills at the Pearl Street exit, head west on Pearl, and take the first left.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
So wait, track bikes are supposed to have 165mm cranks? And bmx bikes are supposed to have 180mm cranks? I just don't get it....

Well at least I know I can run 165 single speed cranks on my Sunday....:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.