Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

First post so be kind! I've recently purchased a 2012 Giant Trance x4 and I'm loving getting out and learning.. Been riding alot of trails and some downhill but there are a few things I would like to upgrade but have no idea...

1) The brakes on the bike are terrible, so the point where once I start going down hill there is no stopping until I get to flat ground or I put my feet down.

2) It came with a Giant contact switch dropper post that is apparently not functioning, is there a way I can sort this?

3) Any tips or recommendations to a complete novice is welcome! Looking to improve so any tips would be helpful.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,990 Posts
On a used bike, most of your issues could very well be related to maintenance needs. Without putting hands on the bike, it's next to impossible to know if the solution is basic maintenance, or whether there is something actually broken. When buying a used bike, it's generally best to factor in at least some maintenance costs that the previous owner neglected to perform.

For hydraulic disc brakes, the first questions should be things like pad wear and whether or not a bleed is needed. Good key for pad wear is the thickness of a dime. If your pads have more material than that, they have usable life left. If less, they're due for replacement. For a bleed, brakes that need it will feel mushy and vague, and have a tendency for the levers to squeeze all the way to the bars. Expect this to get worse if you invert the bike and squeeze the brakes.

For the dropper post, it could be something as simple as the actuator cable not being connected properly. Or it could mean that the post needs a rebuild. These things need periodic service, too.

It would probably be best for you to take your bike to a shop to have a mechanic check it out and identify whether your issues can be addressed with simple maintenance, or whether something is broken and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the reply. I'll look to see where I can get it booked in. There is no Giant service centre near me so I will have to see when I can get down there and leave it with them!

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
^^^ Right. What you want is to find a local bike shop with a good reputation for service. What brands they carry don't matter. Any good shop is happy to work on any bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have recently gotten back into MTB after 12+ year break, alot has changed in my time off and i found a few great channels on youtube that will give you "food for thought". GMBN on youtube is a huge wealth of info as well as Park Tools on youtube. It helped me get my bike sorted/dialed in for my riding preferences and gave me ideas about how to prioritize upgrades, what to upgrade, and (if you choose) how to fix it yourself. I'm a hands on kind of guy, i used to work on my bikes myself but there are some things that may better left to the pros if you don't have a lot of experience tooling on your bike, its always a great idea to connect with your local bike shops and build a relationship with them they are also a HUGE wealth of info. GMBN even has a ton of skill building and how to ride videos. I find myself watching their channels several times a week, and i always learn something watching them. Good Luck to ya'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts