Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, it has been a while since I posted. I wanted to give you an update on the Supercaliber 29 project. Here is an image of how the final frame is going to look. Notice a lot more tube shaping than on the prototypes that I showed last time. We have already built and tested the 26" version of this frame and it came out a lot stiffer and even a bit lighter then the first round prototype. We are supposed to have the new 29er prototype built in another couple of weeks.

I couldn't wait until then to show you though, I'm stoked on how this bike is coming along. Still looking for a May/June delivery. I'll keep you posted on any changes.

Attachments

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Wow! Thanks!

Hey, FisherGuy, those tubes are manipulated every which way from Sunday! Can you tell us if those are Hydro-formed tubes? And, is this model going to be produced in Waterloo, or overseas?

Thanks for that update, I was just wondering whatever happened with that project! Do keep the info coming!

............and get a 29"er in the Trek lineup, why don't-cha?!! :D

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
Nice looking frame. Any thoughts as to a build kit? It was originally talked about with a full race kit, though some of the prelimianry prices I've seen are lower than one would expect. Thoughts?

·
mtbr member
454 Posts
Good looking! Seems like a long head tube though. Especially for an XC race 29" frame. I already have a negative rise stem on my X-Cal. Hope this head tube will not be longer than that.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
anden said:
Good looking! Seems like a long head tube though. Especially for an XC race 29" frame. I already have a negative rise stem on my X-Cal. Hope this head tube will not be longer than that.
i'd bet that drawing is actually the 26-inch version. i certainly wouldn't draw any conclusions from an artist's rendering. an actual geometry chart might be a better place to start.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tubes and Specs

Yes, GT, the top and down tubes along with the stays are hydroformed. That allows us to integrate the gussets and get all of the stay clearances that we need. We can get everything that we want out of the frame while still staying light.

The Supercaliber 29 will have a RockShox Reba Race and a SRAM X.9 spec. Bontrager Race GXP crank and Race wheels. Avid Juicy 7 brakes. Right now we have the price set at $2859.99.

·
Just Ride!
1,266 Posts
I see alot of brands using this location for a swing arm pivot point, so there must be some specifics with rising rates and such terminology that I really don't understand. Any insight?

It just seems like the swingarm should pivot around the bottom bracket! Then there would be no chain growth and we could run it single speed.

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
mgersib said:
i'd bet that drawing is actually the 26-inch version. i certainly wouldn't draw any conclusions from an artist's rendering. an actual geometry chart might be a better place to start.
I'd guess that that the bike is pretty close to spec. My thoughts are that they use a 3D design package like Inventor or SolidWorks for their design, and they've just taken a jpeg image of the complete file.

Trek used think3 to reverse engineer one of Armstrong's tt frames.

·
Registered
665 Posts
What?

With Sram X9 (not XO?) and Bonty Race wheels (not Racelite??) its on par with a 293 - and you're going to sell it for a thousand dollars higher? Must be some purty damn spiffy Bonty cranks huh???

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Tbone said:
With Sram X9 (not XO?) and Bonty Race wheels (not Racelite??) its on par with a 293 - and you're going to sell it for a thousand dollars higher? Must be some purty damn spiffy Bonty cranks huh???
The frame does look a bit more complicated and justifiably more expensive than the Sugar frame. I would guess the extra grand is going into the frame. I doubt Fisher expects to sell many of these, hence a higher margin would be justified. I would still like to see the Fat Possum eventually come out in 29". Let's hope the 26" Fat Possum sells well when it comes out, maybe that would persuade Fisher to offer it in a Big Wheel version too.

·
SALSAFIED endurance racer
498 Posts
Looks really nice - any comments conserning weight or sizing (same as the actual bikes?)

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Strikingly similar. Pivot placement on the Fisher seems more practical to me.
Was was that drawing for, again?

·
Registered
744 Posts
FisherGuy said:
The Supercaliber 29 will have a RockShox Reba Race and a SRAM X.9 spec. Bontrager Race GXP crank and Race wheels. Avid Juicy 7 brakes. Right now we have the price set at $2859.99.
$1100 more than the Paragon! Congrats on just selling a Blur XC

1 - 20 of 57 Posts