Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a new rear hub and can't decide between a Chris King, DT Swiss 440 or an Industry Nine. I would have to buy a whole new wheel with the I9 so that might make a problem. What would you choose?

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
You didn't list the hub I would get, but of those 3 the I9 wins IMO.

Kings are nice for sure, but I've seen 2 freehubs break internally. The DT's are tough, but the star-ratchet system allows for too much pedal movement before engagement. (I hate that feeling.) So, although the jury's still out on long term durability, the I9's are my pick.:thumbsup:

You do know they sell just the hubs for standard wheels now right?

·
The Beaver
1,153 Posts
I am pretty sure that I9 is making a standard j-bend hub now... just give them a call and find out when it will be available (their website is somewhat out of date)

I vote I9

·
Ideas Above My Station...
1,506 Posts
King Every time. I am Running King rear and front, and have been giving them a damn good hammering and they are smooth as you like. Plus, i love the hum of the pawls, so much nicer than Hope.
Also, they look THE s**t!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Maybe Burgtec? any1 has info on that? I think it's the 4th big contender in that class.
DT swiss is 100g heavier than hope if I'm not wrong (which would mean 60 from CK and 80 from burg).

Also if you want to go light maybe tune?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I've seen two version of the CK rear hub for sale - a regular ISO disc one and a "heavy duty" ISO disc one (at Universal Cycles for example); is it worth the price and weight difference to get the "heavy duty" version for FR usage?

·
Registered
124 Posts
All very nice hubs..you should add Hadley to your list.

Heres the thing....If your looking for bomb proof hubs regardless of if its CK, DT swiss, etc it needs to be a 36 point engagement / 3 pawl's Simultaneously . Most all hubs have 36 teeth that are used to grab pawls, but it's how the pawls fall into place. The reason people are shredding CK's is because they are probably using a 72 point or higher engagement (4 pawls, 2 opposing pawls engage Simultaneously) for downhill, that is meant really for cross county (light riding). Awesome hubs...you just have to look at the application first.

If you take 36 and multiply by 2 thats 72 (4 pawl, 2 opposing pawls engage at once) 108 engagement 36x3 (3 pawl sys, 1 engaging at a time) Thats why hardly anyone makes these anymore. They had seamless engagement but, were week hubs. Stick with 3 pawl 3 point engagement they are the strongest. Not sure if CK makes them or not, I think DT swiss may. I know HADLEY does for sure....if your going to spend that kind of dough my personal choice would be HADLEY. They're easy to rebuild as well.

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
The King and DT designs don't use pawls. King uses the ringdrive and DT uses the star ratchet system. In both designs, all "engagement points" grab at the same time but the King as significantly more at 72.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
ltsltr said:
All very nice hubs..you should add Hadley to your list.

Stick with 3 pawl 3 point engagement they are the strongest. Not sure if CK makes them or not, I think DT swiss may. I know HADLEY does for sure....if your going to spend that kind of dough my personal choice would be HADLEY. They're easy to rebuild as well.
That's why I said he didn't include my favorites... Hadley!!! Here's a few pics to elaborate on Itlltr's post:

First 2 pics are of the guts of a Hadley hub. The last pic is of the inside of any Hugi/DT hub. The 2 tooth-rings are the "star-ratchet" system. It is plenty strong, but doesn't have good engagement... ;)

P.S. As Westcoasthucker said; Profiles are sick too. I am thinking of getting Profiles for my next set of wheels. :thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.