Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola Amigos,

I purchased a new Hope Bulb rear hub for my Prophet 2000 and was planning to have it laced where I live here in Venezuela. My question is, can you re-use the spokes? I've assumed yes, as I didn't bring any with me from the States. I've got the Wind rear disc hub that was standard on the 2005 models, along with nice Mavic 819 rim (also planning to re-use). The flanges LOOK the same (I did count the spoke holes of course) but maybe you experts would know. Thanks!

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I don't think you can re-use the spokes. There are more issues than the number of spokes. Are the flanges the same diameter? The same distance from each other and from the center? And also, some expert wheel builders don't recommand re-using spokes that have been built and tensioned even if they are sized properly... something to do with the stress put in them on the first build. And since spokes bend where they cross each other, they may be more fragile if you then bend them on another spot on the spoke.

Your rim though, is fine to re-use.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Not worth it.

It MAY be possible, but not worth it. Personally, when I get a new hup, I just go ahead and replace the rim and the spokes. It sucks when you rebuild a brand new bling hub, only to start popping spokes or rim eyelets.

The flanges have to be almost identical, for one thing.

I say do not try to go that route unless the spokes and rim are fairly new, or you have some sort of sentimental attachment. (serious.)

However, I weigh 230, ride a Gemini like I weigh 300, and rplace rims and spokes as soon as I astart popping them. I can NEVER stop a wheel from going after the first spoke has gone. LOL

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
Just not a good idea. As Dan said, the spokes have a particular way that they lay, if you disturb that, they are prone to breakage. Inboard head spokes now outboard, etc. If you can afford the bling hub, buy $25 worth of spokes. If your rim is in GREAT shape, use it, otherwise, I would replace it too. You'll just be happier.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Get new nipples too. The parts are so cheap that it is not worth it to keep them. Then throw that Cannondale Wind hub as far as you can. It is a shame they specced such a crappy hub on an otherwise decent build.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.