Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been mountain biking since 1985 but have never owned a Full Suspension bike. I've been thinking of getting one since as I get older (56) my hardtails and full rigid mounts are taking their toll on some of my joints. My current fiscal status leaves me budgeted to about $2k. For this much I can get a new middle of the road HT Niner or take advantage of the Niner revolution and pick up a used 26" high end full suspension. All my bikes ( I currently own 7) are pretty much high end and I'm leaning towards finding a good used 26" FS. The only racing I do these days is an occasional Duathalon so I'd classify myself as a fast "sport" rider. A new Niner, while I'm certain give a different ride level than my 26 HT's, isn't going to provide the comfort level of a FS. Any opinions?

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
I was faced with this decision last year. I chose the FS 26in. It has worked out well for me. This year I am building up a 29er hardtail. I am keeping both bikes. If I had to do it over again I would do it no differently :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
IMO you need to ride both sizes. I thought I would go 29 because it makes sense to me, but could not adjust, or did not try long enough to the different handling. That said, i did not try a bunch of bikes.

Get out and ride the ones you are considering.

Best of luck
John

·
Professional Crastinator
6,550 Posts
I have both.

I have an MCR9 (steel), full rigid, and I picked up a DW*Link Iron Horse MKIII just to try out FS (my first FS bike!).

While I still prefer a full rigid bike, there is no denying that the MKIII takes the edge off everything (I decided the operative word was "vague" - when compared to the Niner), but it is so ridiculously fast on the descents that I think I need to invest in some body armor. It also climbed very well. I could upgrade the Recon fork and have a super-sweet ride (if I had any $$$ left).

The Niner is smooth and compliant and I like the geo., but if you're having some kind of joint problems I don't think the big wheels will be enough to take the edge off. I really like it, though, because it does everything well (ride road to a trail, carve singletrack, climb like a billygoat, float down the descents, scramble over rock piles). It just becomes more challenging on the chunky descents, hence the MKIII (for those days).

I am 185# and even though I'm in OH, I really like the technical rocks of PA and NY. I have ridden W. Va and GA quite a bit too. Been biking over 20 yrs.

-F

PS - and I rode a duathlon on the Niner with 32mm (38?) tires installed - makes a good roadie in a pinch, but corners and stops better with the wider tires and disc brakes.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
not to be a jerk, though i am certainly one, but its too generic of a question. While all FS bikes are far from created equal, in intent or otherwise (i.e., XC does not equal AM does not equal FR), same goes for hardtails, especially nowadays.

depends on what you want from this bike (number 8 for you). Do you "want" a XC bike, FS or otherwise? Etc, etc...

There is IMHO as big a difference between a XC and intended AM FS bike as there is XC vs AM hardtail. FAR too often people generalize hardtails in the context of traditional XC hardtails which yeah, are very XC and will NEVER compare to a good FS bike in terms of ability. You need to at least focus your intended HT bike you are considering.
There are some very very good AM hardtails, 29er and 26er, which ride NOTHING like traditional hardtails as people generally refer to. There are plenty of people on this lame website, self included, that can vouch for this.

My AM hardtail is night and day in terms of comfort, ability, stability, etc as compared to my XC hardtail...just like my XC FS bike would be entirely different than my AM FS bike. On the other hand, my AM hardtail is just as capable, able, stable, etc. on technical rides as my FS trailbike, other than technical seated climbing of course.

There are some VERY able 29er hardtails that are very well priced that meet what most would consider as an AM bike if interested

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been torn between a new "Niner" hardtail full XT nice component mix that my LBS had on clearance for $2500 but wound up buying a 2007 Titus Carbon RacerX with a XTR- XT mix. XTR tubeless wheels, all top shelf components 23.75 pounds for $1,800. This brings my bike count up to 8. 4 road 4 mountain. Yikes!! I gotta stop this. Well at least I ride em all.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Spastook said:
I've been torn between a new "Niner" hardtail full XT nice component mix that my LBS had on clearance for $2500 but wound up buying a 2007 Titus Carbon RacerX with a XTR- XT mix. XTR tubeless wheels, all top shelf components 23.75 pounds for $1,800. This brings my bike count up to 8. 4 road 4 mountain. Yikes!! I gotta stop this. Well at least I ride em all.
nice...demoed a carbon X last year and thought it was killer! nice choice

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
If I had only one bike, I would have bought a 29r titanium hardtail. Given my positive experience with 26r titanium from bikesdirect, it would have possibly be their 29r offering.

That said, I do not feel like having only one bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.