Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Rize 4 that i just got and its like brand spankin new. I dont know if this a good bike or if its a beginner bike or if its not so great. Maybe you guys can give me some info about the bike and if theres any ways I can improve it or maybe I should leave it alone. I dont know what im doing but I love riding. I dont know much about the lingo so you guys would have to use plain english when you start mentioning names and brands of components. Any help is much appreciated.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I say get out and ride! Its a decent bike for sure, I don't think it "needs" and upgrades really if you just ride for fun.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Good luck with the bike. As was already said, get out and ride.

Was the bike purchased new or used? Was it bought from a shop? Most any question could be answered at a shop or on this forum and tech documents are available on Cannondale's website .

However, you probably won't get much help asking questions or making statements like: I don't know if this is a good bike......maybe give me some info.....ways I can improve....I don't know what I'm doing.....

Sorry it's early and I haven't had my coffee.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got this bike used, the person that sold it to me never evne rode it so its been sitting a while and its like brand new. I dod notice that when i pedal hard the center part where the pedal shaft goes through squeks, any ideas of what that could be?

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
If you don't know much, leave it as is and ride ride ride! Then, as you gain experience, as parts wear out, you'll know if some upgrades are needed. But, it's a great bike, certainly an excellent starting point.

For the squeak, it's probably either a pedal or the bottom bracket (that's the axle and bearings of the 'center part where the pedal shaft goes through' or crankset). Maybe you could just take it to a bike shop and have a good general tune-up of the whole bike and tell them about the squeak to make sure they don't miss it, shouldn't cost too much and then you'll be set for a while.

I wish my first mountain bike could have been that nice! Enjoy the bike and the sport. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
It is a nice bike, so just ride it for a while.

The only thing I think I would change are the tires. I think all the rize bikes comes with Maxiis Rendez. I did not like those at all. To the point where it made the bike feel weird in the turn transitions. Schwable Nobby Nic, Geax Barro Mtn 2.3, or a Continental Mountian King would be good choices.

When you feel some parts are wearing out or you break them, then upgrade.

On that noise when pedaling. It could be a number of things, but BB creak happens. You have to pull the crankset and BB and regrease all the mounts and reassemble to spec torques. Also, it could be your saddle/seatpost area. you can test this by standing and see it the noise is still there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks alot for the info, can you guys tell me a little about the LEFTY and if its better than or not as good as my Fox Float R 140. I hear alot of talk about Leftys. They certainly look cool but i dont know the advantages or disadvantages of them.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Dallascannon said:
thanks alot for the info, can you guys tell me a little about the LEFTY and if its better than or not as good as my Fox Float R 140. I hear alot of talk about Leftys. They certainly look cool but i dont know the advantages or disadvantages of them.
The Lefty is stiffer, lighter and more durable, they're the best forks in their travel range IMO. They just need some maintenance from time to time, but it's fairly easy to service and cheap to do.

Just ride the bike and when the time for a service comes try a search here and you'll find plenty info.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Keep the Lefty, it's lighter and stiffer than an equivalent two-legged fork. By stiffer I don't mean it's suspension action but side to side, front to rear and torsion so it doesn't 'bend' and twist like other forks do when you hit something so the suspenson action is not compromised when it is ridden in the rough and the steering precision is so much higher... A Lefty front hub also adds to the stiffness and precise direction.

The only negative points of a Lefty is the cost to get one on it's own (if you already have it, it's not your problem) and that when you are used to it and you try your friend's bike with a regular fork, you'll be wondering if something's loose or if it's made out of rubber... Yes they need some maintenance once in a while but so do other forks, most people just neglect the maintenance.

EDIT: Oups, misread, I thought you already had a Lefty... If you don't, they are great and a noticable improvement but not cheap.

·
yorkshire mud monkey
186 Posts
ive had my rize5 for a year now and for the 1st 9month i did nothing to it i just used it and i mean i did nothing,the rize is one of the bike everytime i ride it i enjoy it feels like a new bike everyday.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea i paid a little under $100 dollars for it so I have room to upgrade, and I wanted to but i guess I should just leave it alone and learn as much as I can first.

·
Registered
812 Posts
What???? 100 dollars??? That was quite a deal then. Actually that was a steal!

I have the same bike and apart from installing Oury Grips, i have just ridden it. Love it

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
You paid $100 for a nearly new Rize 4? I'll give you $200 and pay the shipping................:D

OK, that was a steal, or a typo and it was $1000. Then, it's still a good deal.

As for upgrading to a Lefty
There are some PBR and RLC 130 mm leftys out there that would work great. However, the new 2010 leftys are 140 mm and are lighter. Since you have a fork, run that for a yr or so. Then, look for some 2010 leftys on here or on ebay. Keep in mind if you want a lefty, you will need a new front wheel also.

Dallascannon said:
yea i paid a little under $100 dollars for it so I have room to upgrade, and I wanted to but i guess I should just leave it alone and learn as much as I can first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah no typo, it cost me about $100. I have a collision repair shop and I did some bartering on craigslist. I work on a guys car and he handed over the bike. Parts and material only cost me about $100 and a few hours of my work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ziscwg said:
You paid $100 for a nearly new Rize 4? I'll give you $200 and pay the shipping................:D

OK, that was a steal, or a typo and it was $1000. Then, it's still a good deal.

As for upgrading to a Lefty
There are some PBR and RLC 130 mm leftys out there that would work great. However, the new 2010 leftys are 140 mm and are lighter. Since you have a fork, run that for a yr or so. Then, look for some 2010 leftys on here or on ebay. Keep in mind if you want a lefty, you will need a new front wheel also.
Im assuming PBR and RLC are brand names??? How do I know what wheel fits what lefty???:confused:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Dallascannon said:
Yeah no typo, it cost me about $100. I have a collision repair shop and I did some bartering on craigslist. I work on a guys car and he handed over the bike. Parts and material only cost me about $100 and a few hours of my work.
Well, you did the deal of the century lol, and this give you some funds to improve the bike. If you have the $$$ get a Lefty and a front wheel for sure.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
PBR and RLC are the types of Lefty all made by cannondale.

look here
http://www.cannondale.com/suspension/10/ You will be wanting one of the first 3 on that page

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Bicycle part Rim

above is and example of a lefty wheel i found here on mtbr. no place to mount on the right side!

Dallascannon said:
Im assuming PBR and RLC are brand names??? How do I know what wheel fits what lefty???:confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i noticed on the picture above that the spokes on that wheel are thicker looking than the ones I have. Do they serve a purpose being so thick? How much does a Lefty and wheel combo usually cost?

·
yorkshire mud monkey
186 Posts
lefty and new wheels id say

1 - 20 of 28 Posts