Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming off of a 2011 rip, i'm looking to upgrade.

Haven't ridden the new ones yet, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on them other than press releases.

I checked out a new spearfish and that thing had extremely little pedal bob. I would assume the HT is similar but it has more travel.. but i didn't ride it on anything other than some gravel roads.

i liked my rip and it's fine, but time to upgrade i guess, so that's why I'm also looking at the new rip. I prefer the fork and brakes to on the rip, but the 1x11 on HT isn't a bad thing by any means.

Just looking for some first hand ride reports--hopefully i can ride both at dirt fest next month.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I can't speak to the Salsa, but I've owned both RIPs within the last year. The new RIP is vastly superior to the old one, and my one complaint is about to be addressed: the Monarch doesn't match the Pike in feel. With the DebonAir upgrade, I'll bet it gets much closer.

The new RIP pedals better, descends better, is lighter, and stiffer than the old one. I would love it forever and ever, except that it's lifted my downhill riding past the point where a 5" trail bike should go, so I'm selling the frame for that of a Lenz Lunchbox (150 rear), knowing full well it won't pedal as well as the RIP.

One vote for the RIP, here.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive heard that it's pretty much night and day between the new and old rip. But my thing with niner is the blowing out of their older stock...my frame and everyone elses lost significant value when they cut the price in half from 18-900$. I don't' really like that- not that you can look at a bicycle as an investment but damn

thanks

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I still spend some time on the 2012 Rip9 & I also have 2014 Rip9, The New one is better at everything & it feels more alive.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
But my thing with niner is the blowing out of their older stock...my frame and everyone elses lost significant value when they cut the price in half from 18-900$. I don't' really like that- not that you can look at a bicycle as an investment but damn

thanks
I would suggest avoiding Salsa as well then. Although I could say the same about many other brands as well.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I was looking at he HT but I read that they are really difficult to get.....poor availability. I have never ridden the HT or the older Rip. After reflecting on a demo ride and following up the same ride with my Fuel I opted to order a XT build Rip alloy. IMO that says a lot as the Fuel is such a solid bike.

I sold my Fuel 29 and am waiting impatiently on my new RIP.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes you can my bad, i was thinking with xt brakes. after having my xt's run flawlessly i would be very hard pressed to get anything else.

i meant info about the horse theif, lot of press but can't seem to find a lot of reviews.

if one came with a pike, xt brakes, xo1 1x11 and dt350 hubs to flow ex rims, i'd be all over that but spending a pile of money, then upgrading or swapping just is going to cost more money.

Too bad they aren't like Beta's- here is the bike then you can order springs, bars, tires, etc to save money for upgrades you were gonna do already.

ahhh

thanks!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Yea that's what kept me from the x01 build. I could have just got a set of XT brakes but I also don't trust the rotors either.

It looks like the Roval carbons I got coming have DT350 hubs. Hope they are good, never had DT anything.

Hopefully my new bike shows this week. I am waiting on the Rip 9, Roval wheels, and a Pike.

It came down to mait cost for me. x01 rear cassette $300 XT rear cassette $60! Tough to beat XT performance and value.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
The X0 Trails are good. Really good. The biggest difference between the XT and X0 lies in the feel. Don't get me wrong, the XTs are better, but I found it worth it to go X0 for the detachable spider (running 1x now) and a clean ass set of handlebars. The SRAM stuff plays quite nicely together, and the deal I got with a full X0 group put it even with XT cost.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Not sure if you are referring to the rip or ht but the rip has elixer 9 trail brakes not xo. I did demo a rip with xo brakes and I have to agree they are good but not as good as shimano. It will be interesting how the new guide brakes perform. It seems SRAM abandoned the elixer name all together.

I am speaking about the alloy rip just for reference

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I got my RIP with full X0. Wasn't a stock bike - paid about 4500 with a Industry Nine Torch Trail wheel set, Reverb, carbon bars, Fox 34 (to be later swapped for a Pike), Spank Spikes, and no front shifty bits.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Me? No. For whatever reason that bike flew under the radar for me. The old version didn't interest me at all and the new version came out right after I built up the '14 RIP.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also looking at a transition bandit and was wishing the ibis Ripley wasn't in carbon. Is there anything out there I should be looking at? Maybe a yeti? Don't want a kona. Or spec or trek or giant

·
Registered
6 Posts
The X0 Trails are good. Really good. The biggest difference between the XT and X0 lies in the feel. Don't get me wrong, the XTs are better, but I found it worth it to go X0 for the detachable spider (running 1x now) and a clean ass set of handlebars. The SRAM stuff plays quite nicely together, and the deal I got with a full X0 group put it even with XT cost.
+1..
I love it...They also took advantage of the redesigned master cylinder to, hopefully, eliminate the bleed and performance problems that had plagued the original Taperbore design

1 - 20 of 21 Posts