1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4,199 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to our local bike shop the individual cogs now cant be ordered from shimano. We ordered a 16T 9 speed cog from rose bikes, came in a couple of days and works perfectly, had read about lots of other people doing the same with no issues.

Just been on the maiden voyage and if I hadnt of fit it myself or be able to see it Id never know it was there. Cant decide whether to swap now to a 32T up front as I was coping fine without the hope 40T and therefore allow me to not risk spinning out or enjoy the rest it gives me.... think itll come down to where I ride and the time of year more than anything.

·
Registered
19 Posts
how is shifting performance? how much b screw adjustment is needed? does the b screw need to be bottomed out like with the 42t cogs? still have good chain wrap on the 11t? thanks for any answers been waiting for the 40t to come out, am hoping it dosnt have the issues the 42t have.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read about the numerous problems with the 42t options and it reall put me off. Right now it's not an option because of potential issues. When I heard about hope coming out with the 40t I held out for it. Drivetrain is all about six rides old because I stripped a tooth off my 36t double and the chain was completely shot so I decided to swap while I waited. We've had no issues anywhere at all with it. I literally couldn't tell yesterday when I tested it on my regular loop, just felt like standard drivetrain. My OHs is brand new so he's experiencing chain drop when he back pedals but we foresee after only one ride it'll stop happening, it's just the chain is brand new. He's out today with me so we'll report back when this happens. The hope comes with a new b screw if you need it but we didn't and have just Max'd out our current screws and as I say it's fine, I may even wind it back in a bit as I don't think it's need to be fully out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just got my hope 40t today. Have fitted with xt cassette, with 16t from 9s deore 12-36.

The good bit is the 40t shifts easily with the b screw in a bit more, but not all the way. Everything else shifts fine except the 16t - I think I may need to file out the alignment slot so I can rotate it to align the shifting points. Other plan is to buy spare cassette with 18t and replace the 17&19 in an SLX cassette - 11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32-36-40 looks best to me.

The mech is XTR clutch-type, but with Saint short cage - this works on a hard-tail, even with the 40t. The front ring is 30t Works Components NW GXP - chain line is too much and the chain comes off the 40t pedalling backwards. I'll put a spacer on the LHS BB bearing to reduce chainline and see if that helps.

Will ride tomorrow and take pics.

·
Registered
166 Posts
According to our local bike shop the individual cogs now cant be ordered from shimano. We ordered a 16T 9 speed cog from rose bikes, came in a couple of days and works perfectly, had read about lots of other people doing the same with no issues.
Hi - I was wondering what chain you're using? My 9 sp cog fix isn't working so well, it doesn't always shift off onto the next larger cog - especially under load. I'm using a shimano chain and SLX cassette.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I now realise why slotting in one cog to replace two isn't so great - have a look at the shifting ramps - they are where the teeth on neighbouring cogs line up, and this happens twice with a 2 tooth step, and 3 times with 3 tooth step. So I can only get one of these to line up, shifting works belatedly in the workshop, but too unreliable under load.

I know I've been spoilt by the lovely 10 speed shifting of the standard set up, and don't really want to lose it.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I'm finding this thread to be very interesting, in that people are experiencing less than stellar results removing their 17T cog from their cassettes. For me a better 40T solution would be the absoluteBLACK:

"There are two ways to fit 40T sprocket to your drivetrain. You can remove the stock 17T sprocket and one spacer from your cassette, then put 40T on the freehub and mount everything else back (except 17T). OR, by removing 11T sprocket. Second option is a lot better in our opinion, but requires special lockring to hold 13T sprocket (lockring will be available to purchase here)."

Personally I'm looking for lower gearing and don't mind loosing the 11T cog. I guess you could use the 40T-Rex and get a 13T lockring from absoluteBLACK. I wonder if there is any other option for a 13T lockring.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,768 Posts
Any shop that is a Shimano dealer should be able to get you a larger lock ring.
Junior geared road cassettes start with upto a 16T first position cog.

EDIT: Shimano part Y-1ZD 98020

·
Registered
166 Posts
That's to say, the ..1300D part is a top position 13t cog - the 13t you already have doesn't have the lockring serrations (the 11t has). Then you need a standard (for 12t) lockring to hold it on - I'd hope an old 9sp one would do here.

·
RAKC
7,606 Posts
Damn, ring is pricey, costs as much as xt cassette. But its what im looking for. Be watching this thread to see what everyone comes up with and how well it works out. Especially that the ring lasts, not fond of replacing it every yr. Getting ready for 1x10 conversion on my 29er ht. Like the ditch 11t way of converting, never use it on anything but pavement anyway.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.