Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all these threads about DW linked Turners, I figured I'll break it up a bit and show off my new Highline.

I have always liked Turner bikes, so when they started blowing out the 2008 models I had to jump on one. I decided on the Highline to fill the gap between my Yeti 575 and Iron Horse Kumicho. The original plan was to use the Highline to replace the Kumicho by taking all the parts from that bike, but when some parts didn't fit I decided to just do an all new build instead. Ordered the frame and some parts from Go-Ride, and pieced the rest together picking up parts here and there based on good deals.

The build is as follows:

2008 Large Candy Blue Highline frame with DHX 5.0
2008 Marzocchi 66 RC3 (1.5 steerer)
Cane Creek Double X headset
FSA Gap 1.5 50mm stem
Easton Havoc bars
Oury lock on grips
Azonic Outlaw wheels (ano gray)
Maxxis Minion tires (2.7 3C Front and 2.5 Sticky Rear)
Avid Code brakes w/8" rotors
FSA Gravity Lite crank/BB
Sram X.9 rear derailleur
Sram X.9 shifter
Sram 970 cassette
Sram 971 chain
Blackspire Stinger
custom inner guide ring
Raceface seatpost
WTB Pure V Race saddle

I intend this bike to be mostly used for lift served DH/freeride, but I do want to be able to pedal it and even climb modest hills if necessary which is why I went for the large size and a dual ring capable crankset.

Took the Highline for it's maiden voyage this weekend to Snowshoe WV. It was also my first trip there. Conditions were far from prime as it rained all night so it was extra greasy everywhere. The Highline almost instantly felt comfortable, and by the 3rd run I was just as confident as I would have been on my Kumicho. However I was not able to push it as hard as I normally would due to the unfamiliar terrain and slippery trails. I am really looking forward to my next trip, most likely to Diablo.

Now for some pics:

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Nice build. I was wondering what the candy blue would look like with the White 66. Very nice. Now all you need is some White Codes, and you'll be set.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
'Zilla, it's a Large frame. I'm about 6 ft 1/2 in tall, so it fits really well. Definitely a little longer than my Kumicho, but thats not a bad thing.
Do you go to Diablo often? I'm hoping to make a trip there either the weekend of Sept 20th or 27th. I'll be sure to keep a lookout for you.

El C, I thought about the white Codes but I got a really good deal on the galvanized ones. I'm not too worried about color coordination yet. Also the galvanized ones won't show scratches very easily, which is a good thing for the places I ride.

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,385 Posts
Definitely sort out that front brake cable (hose?).

I'm at Diablo most weekends on my Iron Glimmer HL, almost identical spec to yours :thumbsup:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah the front brake line is kinda funky, but that's the way it wants to twist. I would have to loosen the fittings to fix it and I don't have the brake bleeder kit, so I'll probably leave that for the winter.

6thE and Zilla I'll let you know when I'm heading to Diablo, we can make it the east coast Highline convention. I'd never actually seen a Highline in person before I got mine, not even when I went to Whistler at the beginning of August.

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
Nice HL. I bought the same frame this year, in Medium. Looks nice.

You can actually flip around the lever and force the cable to bend inward which will look better until you can cut it. I had to take off about 4 inches off my Codes when I got them.

·
Build More = Ride More
1,442 Posts
Beauty!

Really wish I had purchased a candy blue instead of Iron Glim. Oh well... :D

Those front hoses for Codes come MEGA long ( expecting people to be using SuperMonsters I guess?). Cut it shorter. There's a reason the brake comes with a new fastner. It would drive me nuts riding it like that.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: I finally got the brake bleed kit so I could fix that front brake hose. I also got a new set of Tioga Mx Pro pedals, and a Thompson seat post (came on a used hardtail that I picked up two weeks ago).

Went to Diablo on Sunday, my 5th trip there but first trip there with the Highline. Best way to describe the bike is it rips. Eats rock gardens up no problem, handles jumps and drops with ease. I felt more comfortable on everything there then I ever have before. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
'All over it!'
1,106 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how are you finding the 66 RC3? I have been offered an awesome deal on a 08 66 but am still unsure whether to splash the cash on a fork that statistically is problematic. Your views would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lornibear said:
If you don't mind me asking, how are you finding the 66 RC3? I have been offered an awesome deal on a 08 66 but am still unsure whether to splash the cash on a fork that statistically is problematic. Your views would be much appreciated.
So far it's been great. Really plush, but ramps up nicely at the end. I barely even had to mess with the adjustments, it felt good from the start. Worlds better than the '06 Super T on my other bike. If it's an awesome deal then I would say go for it.

Towards the end of the day Sunday I was starting to notice a slight noise in the front somewhere, kind of a creak or gritty sound. Not when riding, just if holding the front brake and rocking the bike in the parking lot. Not sure where it is coming from yet, could just be dirt in the headset race, but I'll take a look at it this week.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts