Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, hew here but not new to bikes.
i have been riding bmx freestyle since the 80's. i'm going to try and give a mtb a try.
i think it will feel weird at first.
anyone here convert from bmx to mtb?

anyways just wanted to say hi.


i'm looking at a specialized hardrock,etc. i'm just looking for a nice entry level bike. any suggestions would be cool. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,602 Posts
It was a long time ago now, but yeah I do remember that feeling of switching over... The extension of your legs to their full potential, the farther reach to the bars. The good news is after a few rides you'll start to wonder how you ever managed to ride BMX.

The Hardrock is a great entry-level rig; decent spec and a nice low price point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
I have tried out the specialized rockhopper in the 19mm and i really liked it out of the other brands, trek, gary fisher, etc. but its all on personally feel of the bikes you ride. Make sure to test ride all of the ones you have your eye on, then buy the one that feels the best! I dipped into bmx as a teen but made the switch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i should have a bike by mid week.
i have a feeling at first i will want to some flatland tricks..lol
i know it will take a little adjusting,but it will be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Just like what was said above, be sure to test ride as many bikes as you can. I had my eye on a 29er from Fuji, (Tahoe Pro) I even had my LBS order one in and build it, but I didnt like it. I really had the fever to ride and the only bike that I really fit well on was a Cannondale F5. It has a nice frame and this one has Sram x-7 components but it is advertised with x-5s. I spent less money then I had planned but I will be looking to go full-suspension in the near future I believe. Long story short, the best way to pick a bike is to simply ride it. Dont let them pressure you into buying. Good luck, this may be in no way a help to you but oh well...lol I never rode BMX but I work with a guy that did in the mid 90s and and quit in 02, and he just now bought a new BMX bike, Eastern or something and he said he has young 15 year old kids teaching him stuff. I love MTB though...its awesome! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kvnrbrts said:
Just like what was said above, be sure to test ride as many bikes as you can. I had my eye on a 29er from Fuji, (Tahoe Pro) I even had my LBS order one in and build it, but I didnt like it. I really had the fever to ride and the only bike that I really fit well on was a Cannondale F5. It has a nice frame and this one has Sram x-7 components but it is advertised with x-5s. I spent less money then I had planned but I will be looking to go full-suspension in the near future I believe. Long story short, the best way to pick a bike is to simply ride it. Dont let them pressure you into buying. Good luck, this may be in no way a help to you but oh well...lol I never rode BMX but I work with a guy that did in the mid 90s and and quit in 02, and he just now bought a new BMX bike, Eastern or something and he said he has young 15 year old kids teaching him stuff. I love MTB though...its awesome! :thumbsup:
i still ride bmx and i also collect them. they are fun and yes, like your 15 again...lol
i will always ride some kind of bike until i can't anymore.. :D

i really want to do something new. that's why i'm going this route. i'm looking forwar to some trails too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Well MTBin is very fun and very addicting. Im sure BMX is like that too. Good luck.
 

·
I Have Cookies
Joined
·
2,644 Posts
I guess all of us kinda have some kind of bmx roots (at least us in out 30's) thats what I started riding on....... Welcome to the forums!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
berore i buy my bike i had a question.

do i get any entry level bike first and possible upgrade it later? or do i spend a little exrta right away for a better bike and better parts?

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
well, if I could do it over, I think I would have spent more money and bought a little better in the first place, but learning about the better bikes and using what I have and planning upgrades is fun as well. Either way is a blast.
 

·
I Have Cookies
Joined
·
2,644 Posts
Kvnrbrts said:
well, if I could do it over, I think I would have spent more money and bought a little better in the first place, but learning about the better bikes and using what I have and planning upgrades is fun as well. Either way is a blast.
+1 on that!! If you can afford it I would do that! It will save you a bit of money on the long run.......stuff like "Good" disk brakes and a decent fork will go a long way money wise later on......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i actually took a few out for a test ride. i liked the rockhopper ,but didn't have the 800 to spend.this one felt good but we swaped out the stem for a slightly longer one.2mm
after that it felt perfect.
it is all set up for my size. now can't wait until sundy to go to some trails..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kvnrbrts said:
Have fun man, that bike looks sweet. Is it that color too? It looks cool.
yes, it is the same color.. i will test it on some trails sunday..

if i had 200 more i would have bought a rockhopper..i'm happy though.

thanks :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
You will have to post a reply on here after your ride and let us know how your bike responds to trails...I would like to know how the trails are in Wisconsin. Have you ever heard of Volk Field? I have been there a couple times with the Air Force. I dont get a chance to ride when I am there though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kvnrbrts said:
You will have to post a reply on here after your ride and let us know how your bike responds to trails...I would like to know how the trails are in Wisconsin. Have you ever heard of Volk Field? I have been there a couple times with the Air Force. I dont get a chance to ride when I am there though.
hopefully the trails will b open on sunday. it poured here the last 2 days and trails are closed.
they will have updates for sunday and i hope to get my bike out.

never heard of volk. i will look into it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
hello fellow newb, i also was a BMX'er. i did a little racing and alot of street riding and dirt jumping, but the years of not riding hasnt been good on me at all.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top