Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all! I'm new to this forum. Haven't mountain biked much in the last 10 years. I used to ride a lot in other places I've lived (Richmond, VA, Moab, So WA Cascades, Bellingham, WA). I live in Portland, OR and for a city surrounded by so much natural beauty there's not much decent mountain biking close by. I have an old Trek 7000 hardtail that's been a great bike over the years. When the old Rockshox Judy fork blew out I replaced it with a rigid carbin fork fork and put slicks and fenders on it for city riding. I just built a 750w mid drive ebike out of a Jamis Dakar mtb which is now my city and trail bike. I'd like to convert my old trek back to a XCmtb but need a new suspension fork. I have a blown out Manitou Splice from the Jamis that I bought (I put a nice used Fox Float on that) but I can't seem to find a rebuild kit for the Splice. I hear it's a crappy fork and may not be worth rebuilding anyway. I trying to do this for as little $$$ as possible but it seems you get what you pay for and I want something that will work well for years. Wish I had kept the blown Judy fork I had. What do you recommend I get for my Trek hardtail that would preferably be under $300. Thanks!

·
DFMBA.org
1,872 Posts
Probably needs a straight steerer, and those don’t usually come in more than 100mm. Maybe try to find a used Rockshox Recon . It’s the lowest end air fork, but it’s pretty decent and easy to service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Probably needs a straight steerer, and those don’t usually come in more than 100mm. Maybe try to find a used Rockshox Recon . It’s the lowest end air fork, but it’s pretty decent and easy to service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They're still out there to be found. About a month ago i bought a NOS 140mm fox float performance series fork on eBay for my older chameleon.

Keep an eye out on ebay, if i recall a few weeks back there was a pile of magura durin's with straight steerers on there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the relpies. 100mm travel is all I need. I'm not going to be doing anything crazy or downhill riding. And it is a straight steerer tube. I'll keep my eyes on ebay. When I looked recently there's so much there I was a bit overwhelmed. I know Fox & Rockshox are good. I guess most Manitous are also. There are some brands that Ive never heard of and I understand based on reviews I've read that most or all cheaper Chinese-made forks are garbage and won't last. I do want something I can service/rebuild. If I could get a decent used for that just needs a rebuild that would be ok as long as rebuild kits are easy to find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
find another Judy? you can still get elastomers, etc for them

marzocchi bomber z1 or z2. seal kits are available. i just refreshed my '99 z2 w/ basic hand tools.

or go to a more modern air fork like a Rock Shox Sid?

all these show up on ebay quite often. if you need a steerer no longer than 7.25" or so, you might find something in good shape quite easily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts