Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a Marin Alpine Trail 09' after messing with the Diamondback Recoil 08' that was on sale at Sports Chalet on Black Friday for $350 which was a huge mistake!!! The DB was just too heavy and compared to the Marin the DB feels like a cheap civic even though I do drive one lol... I actually went back there and started looking at the other bikes they had there and the Marin caught my eye and it was on sale for $500, you can already tell that the parts and quality was much better. The Marin is so much lighter than the DB. Now Im stuck with the DB and I need to sell it, maybe I shouldve done a little more research before I wouldve bought the DB recoil. But I love my bike so much due to the lighter weight and quality parts on it.

·
ay Diablo!
611 Posts
Congrats :thumbsup: , nice looking bike and welcome to the "marin family".

Bunk

·
Registered
73 Posts
sweet bike bro! i have two marin bikes, 04 wolf ridge and 05 b-17. they are both still in good condition and the marin guys always give good quality of service and advice. much props on your purchase, and with a few upgrades you'll be lovin it so much more. carefull not to catch upgradeiti:D s

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!! Yea that DB recoil was a piece of junk and it was super heavy. I love this bike soooo much!! Shifting is smooth and of course the first thing I had to remove the "made in China" sticker lol.. I also bought a sleeve protector for the frame so the chain doesnt scratch and hit it as I do jumps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is an awesome starter bike!! Even though I just bought a Specialized stumpjumper right after this one Im gonna upgrade my Marin to Fox front fork and once my pads wear out im gonna switch to hydro disc brakes so to answer your question its a big YES its worth doing upgrades on it. This is the best bike I ever owned period!! This bike climbs awesome!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
great bros. got mine last month, i love the bike because of its light weight, good goat for climbing ulike my first bike (khs fx trail). beautifu frame alpine trail 09. Mine is white (off white).

·
Rider
242 Posts
I really like mine. I've been working on it. I got a great deal on it to begin with, so upgrading hasn't cost me too much more than had I purchased a different bike with better components.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2008 Marin Alpine Trail and have been ridden it for 2-1/2 years every weekend and this bike has performed excellent. The parts that the bike had broken since then are the crankset / bottom bracket and 3 spokes. If you can, I suggest you to change the fork for a better one like a Dart 3 or Tora or a more expensive if you have the $$$. Also change the brake calipers to Hayes MX-1 and better brake levers such as Cane Creek or Avid 7 and you will note the difference in braking. Also change the cassette to 27 speed.

·
Registered
659 Posts
this what I got now as my ''all mountain/long travel hardtail'' I got it as a frame so I built it as i wanted, it has a Marzocchi 55r air, so is light weight and 140mm of travel.....is my 'other' bike, also have a turner highline, 7" and 7'', which is for DH/fr and park riding, for everything else....marin B-17

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts