Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie girl who basically rides xc now but may do some dh in the future & I have a '99 Gary Fisher Joshua f2 that was pretty much just sitting in my garage for the past few years but I have gotten in shape & have actually been riding it for about 2months now on the local xc trails (in NY there isn't anything else, lol.) I am pretty happy with the bike except with climbing (probably just me) & the shifters. I have the Shimano lx shifter & it's super easy to shift the rear cogs but to shift the front cog from the smallest one to the larger takes quite a push of the thumb & I have pretty small fingers so I was wondering if there any other shifters that were easier to use? Hope this makes sense, it's sort of hard to describe.. I also noticed that there seems to be some sort of clicking noise coming from the cranks, could this be the crank bearings? Sorry again for the lack of description but I don't know too much about this sort of stuff.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
I can't believe...

naturefreak28 said:
I'm a newbie girl who basically rides xc now but may do some dh in the future & I have a '99 Gary Fisher Joshua f2 that was pretty much just sitting in my garage for the past few years but I have gotten in shape & have actually been riding it for about 2months now on the local xc trails (in NY there isn't anything else, lol.) I am pretty happy with the bike except with climbing (probably just me) & the shifters. I have the Shimano lx shifter & it's super easy to shift the rear cogs but to shift the front cog from the smallest one to the larger takes quite a push of the thumb & I have pretty small fingers so I was wondering if there any other shifters that were easier to use? Hope this makes sense, it's sort of hard to describe.. I also noticed that there seems to be some sort of clicking noise coming from the cranks, could this be the crank bearings? Sorry again for the lack of description but I don't know too much about this sort of stuff.
...you mentioned you're a girl, and guys aren't already panting over you and saying lewd things.

I think you'd be better off posting over in the women's lounge area: http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=94

Good luck, and watch out for the guy who calls himself 'the berryman'. He's weird.

fp

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, just thought

that since it was a technical question, I might be better off just posting in the general discussion forum but I will post there too. I'll be careful of the berry man too, lol.

·
Registered
252 Posts
First of all, congratulations on getting your bike back out, and welcome to the board!

Regarding the shifters... personally, I liked using grip shift shifters, especially for the front, because they are easy to use and the "micro adjust" models allow you to adjust the front derailleur slightly between gears to keep the chain from rubbing on the derailleur plates in some gear combinations. Shifter type can be a personal taste, so you might want to check those out first... maybe see if you can try some out at your local bike shop (LBS) and see if you like that better.

For the creaking crank, you could need a new bottom bracket (that's the part that the crank attaches to that has the bearings), or it could just be some grit on the bottom bracket threads, or maybe it just needs some grease in there. If it hasn't been checked out for a while, and you're not comfortable doing it, you might want to take your bike to your LBS for a general overhaul and tune-up, just to make sure that everything is running smoothly. Seeing it in person, they could probably diagnose the problem better than any of us from across a computer.

-Clo

·
Registered
232 Posts
Try new shifter cables

If you've never replaced the shifter cables on your '99 bike, then do that. It'll make your shifting super-easy and buttery smooth again. Probably cost about $40-$50 to have a local bike shop (LBS) do it, or $20 if you're inclined to buy the parts & do it yourself.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Mikey said:
If you've never replaced the shifter cables on your '99 bike, then do that. It'll make your shifting super-easy and buttery smooth again. Probably cost about $40-$50 to have a local bike shop (LBS) do it, or $20 if you're inclined to buy the parts & do it yourself.
I agree. Most likely, it's your cables that are just old or they have grit in the housing. I don't know about getting twisters, unless you prefer that over trigger. Try other people's bikes w/ triggers and see if it's the same feeling as yours. If it is, then go to the SRAMs.

·
Penis Goat!
804 Posts
Go singlespeed and never worry about shifting again!

Seriously, I agree with the other poster about grip shifters. They would be much easier to use with smaller fingers, since you don't have to reach anywhere. Just make sure you get the correct ones - although the front shifter won't matter, the rear does. SRAM makes different shifters for either Shimano or SRAM rear derailleurs. Since yours is probably a Shimano, you'd need a shifter that'll work with it.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,353 Posts
I would definately replace the cables, and the bike is probably due for an overall tuneup.

That should get everything running quietly and smoothly, and if there is anything seriously wrong or broken, they should be able to find it.

I personally like the trigger style shifters more than the grip shifters, but its all a matter of preference. Since you do mainly XC, either style will work fine for you. On my bike, the front derailleur is noticable harder to shift than the rear, but its not extremely hard, so it is normal to have some difference. If you're not having any problems once they start running smoothly, there's really no reason to switch to grip style shifters. People will swear either way, but in the end they both do the same job well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts