Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
between the xar and flux try them on to see what fits better. i think urge uses a little thicker shell kinda like a skate helmet. do you find you need the extra protection of the archi?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have the flux... i feel cool in it

if you wanna feel cool, get the flux.

In all honesty, I find the flux actually covers my melon head, as opposed to just sitting on my head and making me look like an idiot....

Form over function my friend

·
Registered
750 Posts
MaddSquirrel said:
Well,

I considering the Enduro Matic by Urge, Giro Xar, and Fox Flux, but I am also interested in the Archi-Enduro as seen here: http://www.hucknroll.com/urge-archi-enduro-helmet

Any feedback?

Thanks,
That thing looks hot and not in a good way. I cant imagine doing any type of extended riding with that. Also for that price you could probably get a flux and a remedy if you need a full face.

·
No Clue Crew
7,593 Posts
Better if you can try them on. I've got a weird head for helmet-fitting. Neither the Flux, Recon or any Giro open face helmet fit me properly. The Remedy fit great as my full-face. The Endur-o-matic fits perfectly and is the best open-face helmet I've owned.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Don;t bother with a full face if you are climbing or nothing going fast enough to keep yourself cool. They heat up no mater what even the Deviants.

I have a Fox Flux and a Giro Xen similar to the Xar. I personally like the Xen more then the flux however both are good. The only thing you should do is try them on to see which fits better. I fit the giro a little better then the fox however both are good.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The Beater said:
Don;t bother with a full face if you are climbing or nothing going fast enough to keep yourself cool. They heat up no mater what even the Deviants.
yeah if its hot out i usually strapped it to my back for the climbs. probably defeats (some of) the purpose. im going to make more of an effort to keep it on my head this year

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I am currently running a Giro Hex, but feel that I need to step of the protection. I am starting to take more risks as I ride and think something with a little more protection will defiantly pay off.

·
Registered
516 Posts
+ a lot on the flux I've had one for a few years and really like it it's stylish and provides just the right amount of protection, though the visor on it is cheap and will eventually come off. I like it better without the visor so i didnt mind.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
+1 more for the Fox Flux. I'm a full-facer now, but the Flu is a great helmet. Enough meat to keep your head intact, while keeping enough ventilation to make the roadies jealous.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
charging_rhinos said:
+1 more for the Fox Flux. I'm a full-facer now, but the Flu is a great helmet. Enough meat to keep your head intact, while keeping enough ventilation to make the roadies jealous.
What full face are you wearing rhinos? I have not ruled that possibility out, I have tried on the Remedy and like it, but think it may be warmer than I would like.

·
Registered
389 Posts
UVEX 100 recommended, links to reviews

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=574487&page=3&highlight=uvex

i posted this before in another thread. my .02 but there are some links w/ other reviews.

i have an older giro hex, tried a protec cyphon (didn't fit my crazy big head), the F14 (didn't fit the awkward shape of the aforementioned large melon). the f14 isn't adjustable and sort of plops on top of your head (not that comfortable). i went to the uvex xp 100 and it sets the bar. the ratcheting system in the back provides a simple and immediate custom fit. the chin strap is great as well. i picked mine up on ebay for about $60.

my quick reviews:
cyphon - didn't fit, not their fault. head's fault.
hex - great fit, replaced pads often as i lived in az at the time. has held up well over time and i keep it as my night riding helmet
f14 - to expand on above, it doesn't have a band (like the plastic sizing devices on the other helmets). therefore, the helmet justs rests right on top and you can tighten the chin strap just like a dirt jump helmet. looks like a star wars helmet when it's on me but then again my head can block a walmart door during a black friday stampede.
uvex - only negative thing so far is that my matte white shows signs of dirt since it lacks an enamel-like shiny coating. flawless otherwise. best fitting, easiest to adjust helmet i have ever used.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...lmet-7231.html
competitive cyclist has them and wrote a review w/ the following quote:
If only we could get the other manufacturers to take Uvex's example when designing their helmets, helmets, as a category, would be noticeably better.

pinkbike has a good article:
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/UVEX-XP...view-2008.html

The new POC helmets look pretty damn cool as well.
http://www2.pocsports.com/products/products.asp?id=10-Bike

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.