Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a new headset on my 09 Tassajara. GF website say it is a 1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings. Nomenclature on headset says it is Aheadset VP - A42E. What I am asking is which aftermarket headsets would be the best fit? From what I gathered replacing a threadless headset is quite simple with the proper tools. The headset itself actually sits in the tube with a plastic cover and 30mm of spacers between the stem and the headtube. any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
ncfisherman said:
Will the S3 work?
cooleymtnbiker1 said:
Chris King baby!!! Push it in and never bother with it again. Bling Bling
Nope. Normal 1 1/8" headsets won't work. You need the ZS spec. Like mentioned above, the Cane Creek ZS2 or ZS6 will work. If you want "bling," you can get the Cane Creek 110ZS or the Hope Internal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the input

I appreciate the info. I just want a new aftermarket HS. The one it came with seems kinda chinsy. I was putting on a new stem and noticed that it just didnt seem sturdy and durable. Besides i am an aftermarket type of guy. I havent been able to find any info on the new Cane Creek 110ZS, any suggestions?

BTW - i replaced the stem because the OEM stem had a sticker on it stating that it wasnt recommended for "aggressive off-road riding"

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Might as well use the stock headset, not going to notice much of a difference. If you do replace it, you might want to check to see if you definitely have to use a Zerostack model. I just replaced the stock aheadset(same as yours) with a standard cane creek S3 1-1/8" on my 2008 Tassajara.

·
Registered
422 Posts
IslandTime said:
I havent been able to find any info on the new Cane Creek 110ZS, any suggestions?
http://trade.canecreek.com/gallery2/v/2009+New+Product/110ZS.jpg.html
Keep in mind that the normal 110 headset retails for $150, so the new 110ZS will probably be that or more. Do you really need a $150 headset on your $1000 bike? I think the Cane Creek ZS2 ($56 retail) or the ZS6 ($79 retail) or the FSA Orbit Z ($58 retail) would work well for you.

Might as well use the stock headset, not going to notice much of a difference. If you do replace it, you might want to check to see if you definitely have to use a Zerostack model. I just replaced the stock aheadset(same as yours) with a standard cane creek S3 1-1/8" on my 2008 Tassajara.
According to fishers website, the 08 comes with "Aheadset w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed", the 09 comes with "1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings". So the 08 will take the S3 'normal'-type headset, but the 09 needs the ZS/integrated type as discussed above.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
ncfisherman said:
The 2008 and 2009 Tassajara are different frames. From the info on the website and the pictures, the 2008 takes a standard 1 1/8" headset. The 2009 takes the ZS standard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.