Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Blunt Blazer
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried these out yet? just got mine tonight and couldnt find any review on them. any information would be appreciated thanks.ordered from universalcylces.com, they only have the 6" rotor instock. also i will be replacing my vcut hayes rear rotor with the new 2-piece. sorry about the blurry pic.. my cam sucks lol

·
Blunt Blazer
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
b-kul said:
whaddaya wanna know? look like hopes, should deal with heat a bit better.
just if anyone has used them and what they have to say about them. :) they other vcuts seem to bend easier after they get hot after long runs. ya i read about the heat being lower

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have them. I've put about 300 miles on them and the buttons on the rotors have become VERY loose. So much so the rear rattles when descending, the front is starting to do the same. I use my rear brake more so it has gradually gotten worse and worse. I contacted Hayes about this and they said it was normal and perfectly safe. I'm not sure how much I trust this since the issue gets progressively worse as I ride them more. They are basically full floating rotors now....

Hayes sent me a replacement rotor (which I never mounted) and told me they were working on a new rotor design already....The prime pros are great brakes but I'm not so sure about these rotors...

·
Bloodied but Unbowed
1,498 Posts
I have them. I've put about 300 miles on them and the buttons on the rotors have become VERY loose. So much so the rear rattles when descending, the front is starting to do the same. I use my rear brake more so it has gradually gotten worse and worse. I contacted Hayes about this and they said it was normal and perfectly safe. I'm not sure how much I trust this since the issue gets progressively worse as I ride them more. They are basically full floating rotors now....

Hayes sent me a replacement rotor (which I never mounted) and told me they were working on a new rotor design already....The prime pros are great brakes but I'm not so sure about these rotors...
I've looked at these rotors too but haven't pulled the tigger yet. This feedback is good information to see.

Side to side movement is fine, in fact, exactly what a full floating rotor should do. This allows the rotor to achieve optimal clamping force, but the downside for some is they can be noisy. Thermal expansion and contraction may have an impact on this.

If the rotor is moving radially or around its center, that would be cause for concern. Are they doing that as well?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Correct they only move side to side and I haven't noticed any difference in braking power or performance. I've got them mated to the prime pros and I have yet to phase these brakes. My only concern was from a safety aspect, these are my first 2-piece rotors and there isn't much information or first hand experiences to go by. Like you said, full float are supposed to do this but the fact that these are not advertised as such concerned me. Hayes assured me there would be no issues. I'll report back after a few 100 more miles and let you know if I'm dead or not ;)

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Wow, those look JUST like my Hope 2-piece rotors with slightly less cutouts. Hopefully mine don't start rattling!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Guys, this was Hayes response when emailing them about the rotors. I didn't want to steer people away from them, just wanted to make sure that they know these rotors will develop play but they are listed as "fixed floating". There is a good chance my rear has expanded all that it is going too and I'll get another 1000 miles out of it. Once again I'll give an update as I put the miles on.

John from Hayes:

"With a true floating rotor design these issues creep up over time, typically longer than your 150mi, and yeah it’s a nuisance issue rather than something that will one day put you in a hospital. It’s one of the reasons we’re moving away from this design. The perception of a safety risk is all it takes to send the heebies right up a person’s spine. We’ve tested these rotors hard, burning through a set of pads and the pads’ back plates simulating a 250lb fella running dh lines for a month straight. No failures. Looseness, yes, but no actual brake tracks shredding off their carriers. It also helped that one of our engineers worked out a new rotor design that is one piece and gave us the weight savings of the floating design. We’re still going to produce a floating rotor, but we’re going to head at it from a different angle. Heck, they look cool as all get out, and there’s no denying that little extra bit of lateral stiffness."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.