Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any info on this race in terms of what the terrain will be like? I'm an out of towner and am planning on doing the race on a SS with a 32x17 gearing. Any opinions? I think it starts at a place called Oak Park.

Thanks, and I am really looking forward to checking out this area.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm also entering as a SS, and planning on using a 32x20, but that is on a 29er, so the equivolent on a 26er is 32x18.

Here is a link to the EFTA forum thread on the NH100...but it looks like you already posted there (Are you Cap'n Panties?)

I read somewhere that there was going to be 6000 feet of total elevation gain, and the first 8 miles would be flat and fast to spread out the group (not sure I understand that one).

I think they may be trying to keep it sort of a mystery as to the exact route, so I'm gonna just show up and hope to feel good that day.

-Dan

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I posted on the site, and actually got a response back from the organizer. He doesn't SS himself, but he didn't seem adverse to it being a SS friendly course. He said quite a few people have signed up for the SS category, so that's a good sign.

My only real concern is that there are sections of "road riding" where packs form doing 35-40km/h, and we're spinning our brains out. I hate races like that.

I don't know the area at all, so I was hoping it was rolling hills and not so much open flat stuff.

·
Ouch... Taaa Daaaa!!!!
6 Posts
I took this off the EFTA forum:
55% woods roads/trails/snowmobile trails/doubletrack
20 % dirt roads that are auto accessible
10% rail trail grade
10 % paved (some with more dirt than pavement showing)
5% singletrack

As for a SS, at least 60% or so will be great, we have people that ride with us in Greenfield on SS bikes. The rail trail is a long flat section that you'll need to pump on, same with the paved and dirt roads. All in all, great riding in the area, you'll love the woods roads, trails and single track.

·
Ouch... Taaa Daaaa!!!!
6 Posts
I think combining all the hills within the 100k you'll have the 6000' gain. There are many sections where the trail is short and steep (short being 1/4 mile). Most of the single track has quite a variety of riding. It will be challenging for a SS, but you'll have a blast doing it..:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.