Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon my ignorance. I would like to put some modern (new) riser bars on my old tandem I just picked up--it has the Girven Flex Stem (threaded) on there. Alternatively I may get a new threaded stem. How can I figure out if the Hbar will fit? Are there a lot of different sizes? Would I need shims? THX

·
Registered
779 Posts
jimmy said:
Pardon my ignorance. I would like to put some modern (new) riser bars on my old tandem I just picked up--it has the Girven Flex Stem (threaded) on there. Alternatively I may get a new threaded stem. How can I figure out if the Hbar will fit? Are there a lot of different sizes? Would I need shims? THX
most all mountain bike bars are the same. as long as the bar are narrower at the grips and thicker at the clamp its fairly universal. to use rider bars you might have a problem though. if you get a low rise aluminum bar it will probably be fine but with a higher rise or carbon handlebar you might have trouble getting the bars through the stem. in this case you need a stem with a removeable face-plate.

stems with removeable face-plates can take a little work to find but there are plenty out there. otherwise get a threaded to threadless stem adaptor and use a modern threadless stem.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
picture's worth 1000 words

any 1 1/8" clamp on stem with removeable face plate (Jones bars will only fit into a stem w/ removeable face).

quill adapter that fits into 1" steerer tube and allows any 1 1/8" clamp on stem to attach. in essence, you end up with a 1" quill stem with a removeable face.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.