Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting out in MTBing and wanted to introduce myself. Dont even have a bike yet but put one on Lay-a-way today. I tried out about 5 bikes and settled on a Specialized Hard Rock. Not sure how good of a bike that is but it felt really good to me. I live in Arkansas and have backpacked nearly all of the OHT and a little in the Buffalo area as well. I plan to ride the Syllamo as it isn't but a couple of hours from my home. I'm really excited about this new hobby/sport and hope to live through it. Anyone with any advice (I know I need a helmet) feel free to reply as I can use all the help I can get. Thanks.

·
Registered
388 Posts
welcome

Congratulations! Welcome to the fold!! You already nailed the first piece of advice in getting a helmet. Next, just have fun. If you can find some people who are a bit better than you to ride with, it will make you progress quickly. People always say don't ride over your head, but I just say walk it first if you are in doubt. Your fitness level has a direct relation to how much fun you can have, as everyone knows it sucks to pant and gag and puke on the side of the trail(I just came back from an injury that kept me off bike for 7 months, I just went through all this!) Make sure you are at least semi prepared! Have water, a spare tube or patches and whatever tools you need to change a flat, and a phone when you start riding trails. One of those fancy camelbacks is a great thing to own for hauling all that crap with you. As you start to figure out how you want to ride, your needs will change for tools/parts/safety gear, so be ready for that. Most of all though, just have fun!
erik

·
Registered
217 Posts
Welcome to the sport OHThiker. As already suggested - main thing is to have fun. A good place to see the world of Mtbkn' will be in Eureka Springs this weekend 14th-16th. The Fat Tire Festival is full of DH, XC and Trials as well as some low key events. check out www.fattirefestival.com for the details.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.