Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post so take it easy, I searched but did not find what I was looking for. I have a 2004 trek 8300 (I know its not the best but it was a good deal) it has a really crappy RST fork. I am just a weekend rider but like to do a little bit of everything. Well yesterday doing some jumps and downhill the front fork just gave out I guess. It won't adjust anymore and it seems to move only half way now. :madman: SO... What should I replace it with? I need to stay under $200 and want something that will be a decent ride. Plus I am going to put some discs on soon. Any thought from you guys would be a big help!

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Help is on the way

Keep in mind it takes hours and sometimes days to get a response. The AM II is not going to be right for your bike for two reasons. First, it's got way too much travel. Second, it is disc brake specific, and from what I see, the '04 8000 has V brakes. The original fork is an RS Duke, which I believe is 85 mm travel. I wouldn't go over 100mm, IMO. I believe the Marzocchi MX series still has V brake bosses and comes in 85 or 100mm, so that's an option. If you want a steal on a good fork, try this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-MAGUR...ryZ36135QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bob

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bob!
I am already in the process of getting a new wheelset and disks so that shouldn't be a problem. Why should I not go over 100mm of travel? Is it that the fork will be too long?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
yes, too long

A good analogy would be that too much travel makes the bike look and feel like a chopper. This messes with the bikes geometry and makes various handling issues undesirable.

Bob

·
Is dang happy!
1,384 Posts
I think an 04 will have enough (suspension correction) for a 100mm fork.
How much do you weigh?
How much do you want to pay?
Do you want a light XC fork or more aggressive All mtn. fork?

I still think jenson has some TPC 32mm stanchioned 06 Minutes and cheap R7's.
About anything is an upgrade from the low end RST's.

·
Registered
658 Posts
subspd said:
Thanks Bob!
I am already in the process of getting a new wheelset and disks so that shouldn't be a problem. Why should I not go over 100mm of travel? Is it that the fork will be too long?
Yes the fork will be too long. Get an old thick text book and place it under your front wheel and then get on your bike. You will know what we mean.

If you want a longer travel bike, you need a frame with the proper geometry that can handle the fork. Its not just an issue of geometry either, it is also an issue of bike frame strength and being comfortable climbing hills.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think what he has is actually a steel Trek 830 rather than an 8000 series hardtail--which is why he had the rst fork. For $200 plus wheels and discs, I think you are spending in the neighborhood of $400 to upgrade it. For $500 you can get an entire new bike with discs and much better componentry all around--not to mention an much lighter aluminum frame.

Just browsing quickly, you can find deals like this:
http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7932/.f?sc=2&category=4959

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.