Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Suckin wind like a boss
1,680 Posts
grats on the new ride! pic of the rack? i have a horribad graber thats probably 20 years old that was given to me, one that bolts into the hitch ball hole on my bumper...with 2 bikes on it, it kinda bounces around going down the road, but its solid even at 70+mph.

be safe, wear a helmet- and have a blast!

here's my rack. It isn't a Thule or anything fancy but it works just fine.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
grats on the new ride! pic of the rack? i have a horribad graber thats probably 20 years old that was given to me, one that bolts into the hitch ball hole on my bumper...with 2 bikes on it, it kinda bounces around going down the road, but its solid even at 70+mph.

be safe, wear a helmet- and have a blast!

It's called a speedster shuttle... I think I should replace it.

·
Suckin wind like a boss
1,680 Posts
why? are the straps worn out or dry rotted? looks like it should be fine, as long as it straps securely and doesnt bounce all over the place.

you could always pull the wheels off and put the bike in the trunk/ back seat, if it worries you.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It just didn't seem secure, I felt as though the hooks would just unclip if it bounced around enough, in fact, i stopped at a gas station and duct taped them to my car to be safe.

·
Suckin wind like a boss
1,680 Posts
well, for what its worth, my local cl always has those kinds of racks available. someone is always unloading them. i keep looking for a reasonably priced one to fit my 2" hitch, but those are way more expensive and people are less likely to get rid of them. seems like only the dedicated cyclists are willing to spend the cash on the serious racks- the same kinds of people least likely to sell a good one on cl.

hell, give it a good dry run with the old mongoose on it and go roll down the highway and see how it rides.

·
Suckin wind like a boss
1,680 Posts
well, you could always cobble together some sort of restraint so that even if it does come off, it stays attached to the car...tie the bike to the rack, then tie the rack to the bumper or something. if it comes losse, you just end up dragging it for a few hundred feet til you can stop, as opposed to dropping a big pretzel of tubular aluminum and steel onto the highway for people to demolish :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I decided to take it for a spin, and after only about 15 mins or so I started feeling cramping in my lower thighs. Not sure if this is a problem with how im riding/setup or if I am just that out of shape. As soon as I stopped the bike at home, I had an immediate cant bend knees at all cramp up in one leg. Stretching it out now, going to go for another ride tonight... hopefully this won't happen again, lol!

·
Registered
69 Posts
congrats on the purchase.
very nice looking bike. and congrats on getting out there.
its tough, I'm in the same shoes.
just take it easy at first, around town or whatever you can. drink plently of water.

·
29er and 26er
685 Posts
Nice Bike! I got a Talon 1 a few months ago. So far its been a great bike for me. Enjoy your new toy and be safe.

By the way -- Your bike rack for your car seems fine to me. I might add some padding the the bars holding your bike up. Old towls and duck tape work very well for this.

·
Registered
726 Posts
So I decided to take it for a spin, and after only about 15 mins or so I started feeling cramping in my lower thighs. Not sure if this is a problem with how im riding/setup or if I am just that out of shape. As soon as I stopped the bike at home, I had an immediate cant bend knees at all cramp up in one leg. Stretching it out now, going to go for another ride tonight... hopefully this won't happen again, lol!
Is your seat high enough? You should only have a slight bend in the knee on your down stroke

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice Bike! I got a Talon 1 a few months ago. So far its been a great bike for me. Enjoy your new toy and be safe.

By the way -- Your bike rack for your car seems fine to me. I might add some padding the the bars holding your bike up. Old towls and duck tape work very well for this.
Thanks! I was going to buy the Talon 1, but they give me a good deal on the 0, so I went for it... The bike rack scares me man! Might put the old mongoose on it and zip around to see what happens.
Is your seat high enough? You should only have a slight bend in the knee on your down stroke
Ya know what... this might have been self inflicted. When I did a fitting after buying the bike at the bike shop, they raised the seat. I brought it home, thought it felt weird to have the seat as high as they put it, so I lowered it myself... Severe cramps after 20 minute ride...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Ya know what... this might have been self inflicted. When I did a fitting after buying the bike at the bike shop, they raised the seat. I brought it home, thought it felt weird to have the seat as high as they put it, so I lowered it myself... Severe cramps after 20 minute ride...
Its common for the seat to feel weird at first, makes you feel way too high. But adjust it so your leg is almost straight on the down stroke and take it for a spin.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I was petrified bringing the thing home, I just didn't feel safe about the old bike rack I had. Went 30 MPH the whole ride home, pissed off a lot of people... probably not anymore than roadies do though... (bike humor, lol)
looking at your pic im wondering if the bike would be more stable if you had both of the arms under the top tube instead of one under the top tube and one on the downtube. at least thats how i see the folks around here with them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
looking at your pic im wondering if the bike would be more stable if you had both of the arms under the top tube instead of one under the top tube and one on the downtube. at least thats how i see the folks around here with them.
The shape of the bike doesn't allow it. If I move the arm in the left side of the picture to the most left point of the top tube, than the second arm would be positioned to be hitting the welding point of both tubes, rather than under the top tube.

·
Registered
375 Posts
hmmm, before you scrap the rack might try one of those womens's bike adapters. that'll go between your stem and seat post. from somewhere with a liberal return policy. or just live with it till something nice pops onto CL.

oh and grats on the bike.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I raised the seat, and tried for another ride tonight. Around the same amount of distance, I started feeling the cramp coming on, so I headed home and got off so I could walk it off before my muscle locks up again. This is really annoying, I was looking forward to just doing and easy ride listening to some music at night enjoying my new bike, but I had to stop 10 minutes in because I felt the cramp coming... Is it odd that the cramp was in the same leg as earlier?

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Most humans are asymmetrical. So it's not odd for you to get cramps on one side, consistently.

Pushing too high a gear is another common mistake. You want to use the lowest gear that still lets you introduce power to the system. For reference, experienced mountain bikers tend to spin at over 80 rpm.

Finally, I sometimes have muscle stuff on an extended descent, on one side, from standing up in the pedals with my knees bent for a long time. This one, you either have to get used to or start doing wall squats or something along those lines.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts