Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ya'll,
i recently (feb 2008) got a new mountain bike, i rode a little Huffy deal when i was in boy scouts years ago and decided to get back in it. i bought a Diamondback topanga that i got good, well i think so, deal on. i dont know a whole lot about componets but its has Rock shox dart 1 front fork, shimano drivetrain, front and rear disk brakes, and kenda tires. i was having trouble keeping my feet on the cheap plastic pedals and got a good deal on some shimano clipless pedals and some shoes from a local shop. i bought a nice helmet and some full finger gloves, i already had a camelback. i ride mostly easy to intermediate trails and some dificult ones.
now that i have gotten that out of the way, what do ya'll know about this bike and stuff on it, i know its not a top of the line bike or anything but its doing the job, and also what if anything should i upgrade and what clothing or equipment should i buy?
also where are some good places to get deals on mountain biking stuff.
sorry for the long post but any advice or help would be great. ya'll have a good day.

Geter

·
Registered
71 Posts
hey there. the topanga of years ago is a good bike. usually spec'd low on the front derailleur but mid grade on the rear. Fork is rock shox lowest on the food chain but capable. replace the parts when they break. Not sure of the make or model of the brakes but i assume they are cable/mechanical and they are capable as well. good choice for a first bike.

as far as gear, get yourself a multitool. many different makes and models but most are pretty close to one another. get yourself spare tube and pump for flats (dont forget the tire levers). clothes, you really don't need much. good quality riding shorts are available for pretty cheap and a decent shirt or two of fabrics that wick moisture away will do the trick.

Great places to shop are:
www.performancebikes.com
www.nashbar.com
www.cambriabikes.com

all three have great deals on stuff.

good luck in your search and ride the wheels off that topanga..

ben

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.