Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up?

New here, been riding since 95 mountain, long time road rider. I currently have an 02 Giant XTC2; which I think I've just about had enough of. I've broken the hanger more than once, broken the rear derailler, broke the front shock shock.............I'm ready for a new bike.

I weigh in at about 200lbs and am wondering who suggests what as the end all be all top of the line hard tail? I know this is very subjective but I would love to hear some opinions.....

Thanx in advance. :)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Merlin

the end all be all top of the line hard tail? I know this is very subjective but I would love to hear some opinions.....

Thanx in advance. :)[/QUOTE]

Merlin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basic single track. I live in Va Beach and ride in Williamsburg at District Park, Waller Mill, and York River.

I don't need full suspension, and I prefer a lighter bike.

I love the feel of my XTC2, and with the CF Monkey Light bar the fit is perfect. But you can tell me all day long that the hanger is meant to bend and break; I know that: but I've only had this bike just over a year without putting that many miles on it and I've gone through two hangers, one rear derailleur, the chain, broken 5 teeth off of my middle cog, and cracked my front shock.

The shock was a known issue to Giant and when they were informed I recieved a better replacement within two days.

But I rode my old Schwinn Moab for almost 5 years and never broke a damn thing but a chain!!!!!!!!!!!! What gives Giant?!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Inexperienced?

I'll be PC here...........I agree I'm no pro. I agree I don't know everything, and I defintely agree that the Moab was a tank and far from the bike I have now. I am just frustrated. I do believe that I'm not going to have to deal with the fork issue again, like I said; it was a known issue to Giant that they just hadn't made me aware of!

The only way I could see busting teeth would be to try and shift on a steep grade/climb while pedaling under power. Not what happened. One day I noticed I was skipping in the rear (I thought) under power. I needed the rear aligned. Took it to a shop and they found out that I was skipping due to a bent tooth on the center cog on the crank. So it had to be broken off.

Now there are a few broken off and I have no idea why. I'm probably gonna get an XT crank anyway, made the same upgrade on the Moab. I have no idea how the race face compares to the XT though; I still need to find out.

You are the first to mention inexperience as to the cause of my problems........one friend said that 200 pounds on that bike might be too much for it. Another said I may need to step up to a better bike.

So that brings me to the reason I am here..............should I keep the XTC2 as I beleive I've seen the worse anyways, or step up to the next level of hard tail?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
steve3 said:
I will finally say the XTC is an awesome frame and you continually bash the manufacturer of the frame for (in your eyes) short comings of products made by other manufacturers. Additionally, the problems are quite clearly stemming from poor riding technique.

I like the statement "better" your moron friend made. The XTC is a top of the line RACE frame.
Is this the same type of welcome you give everyone on here? I was just wondering if you could be any more of an asshat?

Sometimes it's not what you say, it's how you say it................ ;)

So I guess I need to get myself back down to 170, I kinda knew that anyway. And I also realize that the only way the teeth could have bent was under shifting. But my point was that I did nothing different than I had ever done with any previous bike.

I still need to at the least replace that cog, or should I go shimano?

And I understand how great a frame the XTC2 is; I did buy the bike for a reason over others after some research, right? But I'm wondering in which direction I need to go with upgrading some of the components...............

I also hate the Hutchinson tires. Can I blame that on Giant as well? ;) :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
be all end all?

Ibis Mojo, but you can only get one used since they folded. Check out the Yeti ARC, the Serotta and Jamis steel framed hardtails, etc. Also, I was up at Cambria a couple of days ago and saw their Sandvik Ti hardtail frame. It was pretty nice, especially for less than six bills. And no, most people aren't quite as full of their own "experience" as steve3 on mtbr. You can actually find some interesting people here who are willing to share a lot of info.

Edit: The ARC is aluminum, if you're interested (and I've removed the negative remarks).

·
Registered
234 Posts
As I said, I just saw the Sandvik frame at Cambria. Unbuilt. On the wall. I didn't claim any more than that. But your attitude really speaks for itself. Maybe you're just having a bad day...

And FYI: Ibis hasn't been "brought back". The company went bankrupt, closed shop and let its employees go. I think my use of the word "folded" was accurate. Castellano designs is building one model, and it's not the Mojo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.