Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking here for quite a while. I've biked on and off since, well, since I was about six years old. Until I got a drivers license, a bike was my best friend. I'm 42 and been out of it for about 8-10 years. Just bought a new 29er SL1. Bikes have sure come a long way over the years. My skills are far behind my desires so I have always been the guy getting beat up on the trail but its always fun as I don't over do it too much.

Anyway, anything I might need to know, or anything that anyone has to offer as far as advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welcome to the madness! #1 thing you see a lot of inexperienced riders doing is plopping down on the saddle and staying there. Stand up! Your legs are better suspension than just about anything else out there, and moving your weight around helps you unweight the front and rear crossing obstacles, flow through turns much more easily, control the bike much better and saves you from so much punishment.

I'd wager standing alone will make a big difference in your confidence and speed. Oh yeah, and get in the best shape you can before the brutal heat starts up or it will do a number on you!

I would also say ASAP after you get somewhat comfortable with your bike, find a riding partner that is slightly better/faster than you. Group rides can be fun but I don't like the starting/stopping, and people don't want to wait up while you try an obstacle that is giving you problems multiple times. Ideally you would want someone that is riding about 60-70% of their fitness/ability and makes you run at 80-90% of yours. This will push you to improve your speed, watch their lines, increase your endurance on longer climbs, and follow them over smaller obstacles that you would be hesitant to try on your own. Let them push you close to your limits but don't ride over your head!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gator, thanks. I do stand up quite often. It feels more comfortable for some things also. All those years trying to be Evel Kneivel with a plywood board and a garbage can taught me well!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I too got back into Biking after taking 25 years off. Everyone has different motivation for riding. For me, I wanted to get back into shape, and I really love the Mountains and being outdoors anyway. Having a new 29er is awesome. You should really enjoy that bike. Here is a couple things I would add to Gator's excellent advice... as he mentioned, get a riding buddy, or better yet, several. When I started out here a couple years back, I would post on here in the So-Cal section where I live to see if anyone wanted to ride. I have met at least 10 different people from this site in person, rode with them, and stay in touch with most all of them. Some I have ridden with several times. If you have fitness goals, consider getting a gps or bike computer. This way, even if you do not ride with anyone else, you can compare and contrast your progress as far as time, speed, elevation gain, miles, stuff like that. Try to mix up your rides, and do not be afraid to explore a bit. There is a ton of good riding info here, as well as Geoladders and other sites that will give your detailed ride information for your area. As Gator mentioned, if riding alone, be prepared, and ride within your limits. lastly, have fun. Try not to take yourself too seriously, and remember to take the time to really enjoy it. If you ever have any questions, I will try to answer if you just shoot me a PM. Ride on!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi and welcome USN! Thanks for your service! This stuff is a kick in the pants! I just started riding about 2 mos ago and I really like it! SL1 is a sweet ride! I ride a f29 1 alloy and love it Cdale Baby! I hear ya about the guy always getting beat up! I am still limping from a friday ride with an encounter with a tree! Long story!LOL I have been riding a set of trails about 3 miles from my house and they are right nice singletrack with a few spots I usually try to bypass. Just not ready yet. My advice(beat up guy to beat up guy) keep cell handy!LOL

BTW: I am 56 yo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts