Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy guys! just got the bike a few days ago. so far its awesome! previous bikes were trek 6500 and specialized hardrock pro disk. and old diamondbacks and stuff.

this bike rocks for my budget (key word budget ha ha).

heres a pic

·
Registered
321 Posts
Its pretty complex. You have to take the fork apart and take out spacers that are in there somewhere. I took mine to a shop and had it done. Costs 30 or 40 bucks, but its totally worth it in my opinion. Most quality shops can get it back to you the same day.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Congrats on the bike; i've been lusting after the same one for a year and may be pulling the trigger soon.

can i ask if you just picked it up and about how much you paid? (you can pm if you prefer)...reason i ask is i am looking at the same bike at a local lbs and they have it listed on sale for $1900; this seemed high to me for a leftover, so i wanted to get an idea of what others were paying before i made an offer...thanks and enjoy it!

·
Registered
110 Posts
jpine93 said:
i have the same bike and i love it. I extended the travel to 140 on it (fork has spacers in it) and think it makes the bike 100 times better.
I did the same too, by removing the spacer in favour of more travel. The extra travel made DH more fun, but to be honest, the bike handles like turd on climbs. The front wheel drifts a lot and you end up fighting the front more rather than trying to climb - maybe it is because I've added a shorter stem and replaced the bars with more upsweep..

·
Registered
321 Posts
Jeff43 said:
Congrats on the bike; i've been lusting after the same one for a year and may be pulling the trigger soon.

can i ask if you just picked it up and about how much you paid? (you can pm if you prefer)...reason i ask is i am looking at the same bike at a local lbs and they have it listed on sale for $1900; this seemed high to me for a leftover, so i wanted to get an idea of what others were paying before i made an offer...thanks and enjoy it!
I bought that bike back in January for $1699. A shop in the bay area still has that bike and are selling it for $1699. It is a descent shop with all the tools you need to set your new bike up. Plus, they give you free tune ups (If you live in the Bay Area)

Here is a link if you are interested:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/716370227.html

·
Registered
138 Posts
Picked up mine 2 months ago and loving every second of it. Got mine for 1600 at a LBS. Just curious, is the stumpy a good bike to race with? I'm kinda interested now in racing, but not much. Just a few races. What changes would have to be made? I have the Comp.

·
Registered
321 Posts
zredbullz said:
I did the same too, by removing the spacer in favour of more travel. The extra travel made DH more fun, but to be honest, the bike handles like turd on climbs. The front wheel drifts a lot and you end up fighting the front more rather than trying to climb - maybe it is because I've added a shorter stem and replaced the bars with more upsweep..
I haven't replaced the stem and bars yet, though it is one of my top priorities for my bike. I think it climbs almost the same as it did before, maybe a little harder to keep the front wheel down, but other than that, its fine for me. Just out of curiosity, what bars and stem did you put on it?

·
Registered
321 Posts
chrisf695 said:
Picked up mine 2 months ago and loving every second of it. Got mine for 1600 at a LBS. Just curious, is the stumpy a good bike to race with? I'm kinda interested now in racing, but not much. Just a few races. What changes would have to be made? I have the Comp.
What type of racing do you want to do? XC? DH?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I don't race, but I'd imagine it would do just fine in races. As long as you don't plan on winning the pro category. I have heard of people racing this bike in XC and DH. It seems the biggest changes are stem, bars, wheels and maybe brakes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
chrisf695 said:
XC for racing. I live in Michigan so theres roots and rocks and kinda hilly.
Race the bike, I race my 05 s-works in random events throughout the year (4hr etc) and it goes very well, a really adaptable and forgiving bike and can cope with any xc track with ease. I'd guess that a full time pro racer wouldn't use one but for a regular rider wanting to dabble a bit and still ride socially it's excellent.

·
Harshing my mellow, man..
369 Posts
I've raced my Stumpy Pro in a couple of races this season, and it has done very well. Definately a better bike than my skill level, but I've had real fun tinkering with the Brain. Works very well, and when the big rocks come, you can really fly past those HT guys.

·
Registered
315 Posts
chrisf695 said:
I have the comp...can i put the brain on it?
Don't bother, the 07 Triad is pretty good (and worlds better than the 06 model). I've ridden brain equipped Stumpies (08 Expert and 07 Pro) and I don't notice too much of a difference between them and my 07 Elite in regards to rear end behavior. Just a little stiffer when climbing, not worth hundreds of extra dollars to swap out in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.