Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Giant Rainier came with pretty crappy grips that slide a little and are very thin. The shock is a bit stiff too and I can feel a lot of vibration transfering to my hands on speedy descents. I'd prefer to replace the grips with lockons so I've been looking at ODI's. The Rogues sound great only I'm a glove size Medium and from the sounds of it they might be too big and replace numbing with cramping. The Ruffians seem popular but it sounds like they would be too thin for absorbing some vibration. My LBS doesn't really carry a good enough selection.

I picked up some Pearl Izumi Gel-Lites so now I want some decent grips. I could loosen the shock but I think a stock Rainier shock (Marzocchi EXR Comp) isn't really designed well enough to effectively minimize those small vibrations. Plus I don't want much bob when climbing.

Any suggestions?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Well, sounds like you would like a thicker, cushier grip so I'd try the Rogue (I use 'em). I also had a set of the Ruffians on one bike for a while but changed to the Rogue on that bike too, I also like the Oury grip (there's several brands that work with the ODI system), I use that one on another bike. I do tend to like a larger than thinner diameter grip, and think the Rogue and Oury definitely absorb more than the Ruffian. I use non-padded gloves for mtn biking tho (but love my gel-lites on the road bike).

·
I'm how far behind?
571 Posts
Ourys work great for me-- sometimes 200 plus miles a ride and with the Ourys my fingers are signifigantly less numb. I'm talking numbness for days not weeks like with other grips. With me it has always been the ring finger and the pinky finger (ulnar innervation vs radial??) The Ourys are soft and squishy. They are a favorite of lots of motocross racers, which should attest to their vibration damping properties.

Jim

·
Registered
129 Posts
I personally cant stand the bigger cushy grips, you loose too much feel of the bike. Ive been lovin my ruffians and matted to a carbon bar i have no issues with my hands goin numb. I tried ourys in days of old, but i couldnt stand the feeling they give its like your hands are wandering or something...

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
dissonance said:
The Rogues sound great only I'm a glove size Medium and from the sounds of it they might be too big and replace numbing with cramping.
I wear men's small gloves, and I don't have a problem gripping the Rogues. I think you'll like them when you get them.

Kathy :^)

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
Grips are like saddles or your choice of toilet paper.
Very personal.

My new favorite is Pedros Dice lock-on grips. I also like the new Salsa lock-ons.

Medium profile. Not nearly as thick as an Oury which is too big for my smallish hands and more cushioining than a Rogue.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
The ODI's are good but don't take any of the vibration out like a rubber or foam grip will do. I use the lockons on all my bikes but I'm considering giving the foam grips a try or the RF Good/Evil grips to see how it goes with vibration absortion.

·
Registered
215 Posts
One day I accidentally forgot my gloves at home and had to ride without them. Strange thing happened that day...no tingly fingers. Hmmm. I found that the "padding" in the palm of my glove was bunching up and creating pressure points. Now I ride glove-free and have happy hands. It's also one less thing to worry about bringing along for my ride. I also still use bar ends wrapped in a little grip tape; it's nice having the variety of hand positions they offer.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Check into Ergon!

I do a ton of endurance racing. The last few years I ran Oury's...great grip! For this year I am going with the Ergon Performance grip. It's soft. Available in Men's and Women's models which the only difference is thickness. And best of all it has awesome support! I can't get over how comfy they grips are. I would check them out as an option. These just became available in the USA this year. For 2005 the Cateye Enduro Team will be rage'n on them. Next weekend I am going to be doing a 300 mile mnt bike race on them :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Check you LBS...

DiRt DeViL said:
Who sells them, this may help a ton of CTS patients like me.
Check out your local bike shop. I know that they are distibuted through Quality Bicycle Products (dealer only ordering). Almost every shop in the USA orders from Quality. They retail for around $30ish. They are also available in a bar-end version...but are a bit heavy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
DiRt DeViL said:
The ODI's are good but don't take any of the vibration out like a rubber or foam grip will do. I use the lockons on all my bikes but I'm considering giving the foam grips a try or the RF Good/Evil grips to see how it goes with vibration absortion.
Good God those were sloppier than the ourys, good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.