Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new 2021 Ripmo V2. It has the fox factory 36 with Grip2 and factory X2 shock. I’m trying to learn how to dial in all the settings (this is my first full suspension bike) and I’m a little frustrated became the LSC knob doesn’t have any detent clicks. It spins freely, and while there is an occasional sensation of a faint click here and there, it’s nothing consistent. The ibis manual and forum posts talk about turning it full clockwise and then backing off a certain number of clicks. The HSC, HSR and LSR knobs all have a positive detent click. Same with the knobs on X2.

Anybody else encounter this? Is it something that can be easily fixed? Or do I need to make a warranty claim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
359 Posts
I had the exact same problem with mine. What the problem is/was is that there's just a fraction of a mm too much space under the blue dial cap so it's sitting too deep. I went to the ACE hardware and picked up some small plastic washers, the one about ~13mm OD fit the best. I had to dremel the inside diameter but it fit perfectly otherwise. This makes the blue HSC dial sit higher and now the ball detent properly engages the black LSC dial. (y)

You can see if you're having the same problem I had - just pull up on the blue dial while turning the black LSC dial to see if you get the 'clicks'. If so then you have the same problem I had.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm having the same issue as @DeeCount. When I take the knob off I can turn the LSC part easily and it clicks as it should. When I put the knob back on then the HSC ring slips down just a bit while the LSC portion is pushed up and that creates a small gap such that the bearing doesn't engage and there's no click. It's good to know that everything inside the damper is turning fine and there's nothing wrong with the internal workings of the damper.

I tried to do what @DeeCount did but I couldn't find a small plastic washer. I did find a rubber o-ring that fit the space pretty well.

This is a #7 o-ring with outside diameter of 1/2", inside diameter of 3/8", and a thickness of 1/16". I installed it but it didn't work well. The ring was just a little too thick and the rubber creates some friction, so the knob didn't turn as easily as it should, and it created a bit more gap between the HSC ring and the crown of the fork than is desirable.

Now that I know what's going on, I think the best solution is to do either of the following. Either, (1) just turn the LSC and pay attention to count each quarter turn without the clicks, or (2) pull up on the HSC ring slightly while turning the LSC with my other hand, and by doing this it will click. I might keep an eye open for a thin little plastic washer too.

I'm disappointed that this doesn't work the way it should on what is supposed to be a high end product. I'll reach out to fox and see what they do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,705 Posts
If you bought this bike from your LBS, why not bring it back to them, instead of MacGuyvering a fix? Or reach out to Fox for warranty service (although that may entail delay). I would definitely be unhappy about this, given it’s a brand new bike. Is there no other recourse than to fiddle with things yourself? Trips to the hardware store could presumably be trips to the LBS. It’s a brand new bike and fork!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If you bought this bike from your LBS, why not bring it back to them, instead of MacGuyvering a fix? Or reach out to Fox for warranty service (although that may entail delay). I would definitely be unhappy about this, given it's a brand new bike. Is there no other recourse than to fiddle with things yourself? Trips to the hardware store could presumably be trips to the LBS. It's a brand new bike and fork!
I agree completely! I intend to take this up with fox first, and will report back what they do/don't do. I got the bike from a reputable shop out of state. I'm sure they would treat me right but it's inconvenient to send it back to them with a problem like this. That's why I'll take this issue straight to fox. I'm hoping fox can send me a replacement knob or some east fix like that.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I found the spare washer I bought, I thought I had purchased a metric washer but by the measurements it's a Imperial 1/4" washer with a 1/2" OD, .86mm thick. Any hardware store should carry something similar.
View attachment 1945867

View attachment 1945868
Thanks. This is super helpful. The rubber o-ring I tried is twice as thick, which is too thick, and it introduces friction. A flat, smooth plastic washer the size of what you used would be perfect. I'll keep an eye open for one. Maybe fox has something like this that was supposed to be in there already, but was inadvertently omitted from ours?

·
Registered
359 Posts
My wife's 2021 Fox 36 Grip2 didn't have any extra washers and didn't have the same problem. It appears to be a production tolerance issue, sub-millimeter. So is it the threads on the CSU too deep, the threaded shaft on the damper too long, the blue cap too shallow, the damper top cap? I wasn't about to deal with Fox or the online store over it, I know that would have really got me worked up as I've found good/competent customer service to be few and far between these days (except RWC and Cane Creek, really good guys). Once I figured out what the problem was I got it fixed in like 5 minutes. I have an ACE Hardware store right on the corner by my house less than a mile away. Kinda sucks to have to do that with a fork that cost me $1085 delivered though o_O.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Did you managed to solve the issue?

I have the very same Ripmo and have been struggling to get the suspension tuned, it feels so harsh no matter what I do, just got the bike and dislike it already.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
On my 38 the clicks are faint but I noticed they came at 90° intervals and the knob is shaped like a cross, so I just picked a spot where one of the ends of the cross aligns on a click with something on the HSC knob then just counted clicks by turning 90° at a time. You have to find at least one click to use as an index.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Silent Drone -
Were you able to get this all fixed?
Nope. Not fixed. Here’s what I’ve done so far since I last posted.

I took it to a good mechanic. He took it all apart and checked specs, etc. His conclusion is that everything is put together correctly and it’s a tolerance problem where the HSC knob slips down so that the detent in LSC doesn’t make contact. That’s exactly what you found, by the way. His recommendation is that it’s not a big deal and I should just go ride, enjoy the bike, and forget about it. I can see his point. I can adjust the LSC by either counting quarter turns or if I use my other hand to put some upward pressure on the HSC knob that causes the detent to make contact and I can feel the clicks. But that takes a two handed maneuver to set the LSC. Not ideal, or what’s intended. But also not too much of a hassle since I’m not adjusting LSC all that often.

In addition to the above, I reached out to fox via email, and described the problem to them. I also asked if they would send me a replacement damper or just the knob. They said “no” to sending a replacement, but they also said it sounds like something that should be covered by their warranty and they encouraged me to submit a claim and send the fork back to them. I haven’t done that because I don’t want to be without the bike for a month or however long it takes them to return the fork. My hunch is that they’ll simply swap out the damper and that will be that. It seems I have a damper that’s slightly out of the intended tolerances. The shop tells me that fox warranty is terrible in that fox won’t even let the shop diagnose the problem and solve it by shipping the shop a replacement part. If I want fox to address it then it’s either me or them sending the shock back to fox. Either way the bike would be sitting out of commission for a while.

I’m thinking that I’m going to to wait a couple of months and when we get to December or January send it back to fox. Where I live the ground will be covered with snow and I’m not likely to be riding it then. Although I’m curious to put some 2.6 tires on the Ripmo to see what’s possible with it in the winter.

Lately whenever I’m in a bike shop and I see a bike with the Grip2 I can’t resist to give that LSC knob a twist to compare it to mine. And every time it clicks the way you’d expect. I just got a bad one.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you managed to solve the issue?

I have the very same Ripmo and have been struggling to get the suspension tuned, it feels so harsh no matter what I do, just got the bike and dislike it already.
Bummer. I’m able to tune the suspension just fine by counting turns (without clicks) and I am loving the bike. Mine has been very supple.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.