Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After browsing these forums for a while, and reading about forks, I finally decided on the Magura Asgard. I was torn between the Magura and the Marzocchi MX Comp. I've been riding on an 01 Judy TT, which came stock on my bike. Frame is an 01 Jamis Eureka.

Today I had the fork put on by my LBS. I am sure that I would be capable of doing it, but I don't trust myself using a hack saw on such an expensive item.

So far I am really impressed with the fork. From what I've gathered, the seals will take a while to break in, but as is, the performance far exceeds the Judy TT.

Both of the stock formula disc calipers are shot. Aside from replacement pads being nonexistant, the pistons won't fully extend. The shop had a Shimano Deore front mechanical caliper on the shelf, which I ended up buying. So far it seems to be very smooth and has good stopping power. Definately an upgrade from the stock caliper.

So, now I'm looking for a rear caliper and rotor. Part of me wants something a bit blingier than the Shimano for the rear. I'm looking at the Avid BB7, but I'm open to any suggestions that anyone may have.

·
Magurified
483 Posts
skiing9689 said:
I am looking at the same front caliper. Louise FR, correct?

Do you like it?
Yes.

I have the same caliper on the back, but in silver (160mm Louise). I think they're great, although I'm not the heaviest rider. I love every bit of magura stuff I've had so far, as they've been extremely reliable (my single speed still has my 9 year old HS22 front brake on it) and never let me down. I've got brakes, forks, front hub...

What sort of weight are you? If you're light (less than 150lbs say) then you might want to look at changing the oil weight in the Asgards... mine were too slow (I weigh 130) on stock oil, but superb now that I've lightened it.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
skiing9689 said:
So, now I'm looking for a rear caliper and rotor. Part of me wants something a bit blingier than the Shimano for the rear. I'm looking at the Avid BB7, but I'm open to any suggestions that anyone may have.
Um no offence, but your ride is not too blingy right now. Most of your braking power comes from the front anyways, so why would you get a higher end brake for the rear? If you are happy with how your front brake works, get another for the rear.

I just got mine, but so far I am pleased with the BB7s. FAR superior to the HMX-1s they replaced.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,439 Posts
skiing9689 said:
The Shimano Deore M555/6 Hydraulic disc can be had for about the same price. Both use a 160mm disc. Will this relatively low end hydraulic brake outperform the BB7?
Yes. And it will keep that smooth and creamy feel at the lever long after the BB7 cable and caliper have gotten full of crud and start feeling gritty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.