Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my goblin a few weeks ago and just road it around the campground after assembly, I added air to the front shock(150 lbs), but the lockout doesn't seem to do anything. Is there anything I need to check?

·
Registered
206 Posts
The lockout should lock the suspension so that the fork is rigid. Unlocked, the fork will have "travel".

Are you saying that it always has travel, or are you saying it is always locked?

·
Registered
451 Posts
My Reba forks don't lock out enough to make them what I would call rigid but they do cause the fork to have less travel. Honestly though I never use the lockout.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The lock-out doesn't completely lock it out. There is still a slight bit of travel depending on how hard the hit is.

Jeremy

·
Registered
732 Posts
That's more of a Reba Fork question than a Goblin lockout question. There are threads in the Shocks & Suspension Forum that address this.

I'm not overly excited about the Reba on my Hobgoblin either, but other members rave about this fork and how tunable it is. There's at least one thread on that forum devoted to tuning it.

But again...I'm experiencing issues with mine as well. So much so that I'm sending it off to Push for a custom rebuild and tune next week. I'll post up with how it turns out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life to hopefully get an answer on a noobish question. I was under the impression that the lockout function on a fork works incrementally to modify the compression as one turns the knob further toward the "locked" position clockwise until it's ultimately fully "locked out" all the way turned towards the lock icon. My lockout function, however, only seems to work when the knob is turned halfway between the two directions. Turning the knob from an essentially middle setting in either direction basically gives the fork it's travel back. Is it supposed to be that way? Should I have it looked at? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I don't believe the Reba has a progressive lockout. Its either locked or not. There may be some play but after riding a Pike with multiple lockout settings it's very different. When in lockout, there will be some travel. This is the blowoff to prevent fork damage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The feature you are referring to is adjustable compression damping. My son's '13 Reba does not have it.
Good to clear that up. I'm also curious to find out if something with the position of the lockout switch needs to be addressed. Should the fork lock out if the switch is positioned in the middle of its turn spectrum?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Good to clear that up. I'm also curious to find out if something with the position of the lockout switch needs to be addressed. Should the fork lock out if the switch is positioned in the middle of its turn spectrum?
It's locked out at one end of its travel range and open at the other. In between it may or may not be locked.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My '13 Reba is either open or locked, no incremental damping. The adjustment knobs determine the compression and rebound rates, obviously. As stated above, even when locked, a hard bump will allow compression to prevent damage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My '13 Reba is either open or locked, no incremental damping. The adjustment knobs determine the compression and rebound rates, obviously. As stated above, even when locked, a hard bump will allow compression to prevent damage.
Yep, mine functions properly in terms of whether or not it locks out at all. Maybe I'm just being picky but my lockout switch locks out the fork when the switch is turned halfway - that's the weird part. If I turn the switch all the way towards the lock icon or away from the lock icon, it allows the fork to function as normal. It's just kind of a pain for it to work this way as I try to find the midway point in its turn spectrum if I want it to lock.

·
Registered
814 Posts
No, it sounds like the lockout mechanism has an issue. Turned all the way one way, it should function with full 100mm travel. Turned all the way the other way, it should be locked. It may or may not still lock in the middle somewhere, but at either ends of switch travel range, it should be fully locked or unlocked, depending on which way its turned.

Should be covered by SRAM warranty and usually Airborne can assist in facilitating the warranty claim.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts