Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this DB v-link 1.0 full suspension back in 2003. Paid $200 for it used, and aside from a new seat and cheap headlight, I've put no money into this thing. It's been a great bike, I've used it as a general purpose bike all this time, never into serious trail riding. I've recently moved to Colorado Springs and them mountains off to the west have been calling out my name. So, it's time to either fix this thing up, or replace it. (I'm partial to fixing it up).

I know it needs new shifters, since the ones it has (Shimano brake lever quick fire combo) don't catch at all shift points. I can't get it to go to number 3 for the front sprocket.

What should I look at replacing it with? I like the quick fire, but are they the best? Is there something newer I should consider?

Thanks in advance

Jason

·
Never trust a fart
4,343 Posts
Did you try cleaning the shifters? Usually over time, the grease that is used inside the shifters hardens up and causes the little pawls and springs to stick.

Spray the internals with WD40 (great solvent for cleaning grease) while working the shifters. If they start to work properly (which I'll guess that they will) spray some lubricant inside the shifters.

Try this first before plunking down the cash for shifters and brake levers. I've fixed many a "broken" shifter using this method.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I haven't tried that. After cleaning with WD-40, should I use that dry wax Teflon spray as a lubricant for it? It would be great to not have to replace the parts. I really like this bike the way it is.

Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
No dry wax! That'll just gum things up worse. A light teflon wet lube like Triflow will work best.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, just like you said, a little WD-40 fixed it right up. I put a little tri-flow in there, so now to fine tune it all and find me a trail to hit. Any recommendations for a beginner in the Springs?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts