Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I have some questions about some new gear I am wanting to get and i am looking for opinions on what works. For some background info I ride most of the time In Waco Texas in Cameron park most of my trips are less then 3-4 hours and i am never more than 10 miles from the truck. I ride a Channondale F4 all stock other than the pedals broke them and changed them out. There is a list of things below that i am in need of and wondering what to buy.

1. Camelbak- for water and room to store gear

2. Bike multi-tool whats the best for my bike

3. Chain breaker whats good and whats a good set of extra links to carry

4. This questions is for the guys what is the best set of bike shorts with some padding to help take some of the beating off the boys :madman:

5 best shoes for someone not using clip in type petals

6. what is a good brand of spare tire and a pump or Co2 fill system

Anything else you can think of that i should carry with me.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
1. I prefer the MULE
2. Multi tool that has a chain tool built in
3. See above , SRAM powerlinks

·
Registered
629 Posts
4. Canari, Sugoi or Pearl Izumi riding shorts...the $75+ dollar ones
5. I hear that the five ten shoes have a soft grippy sole..good for flats..i personally ride clipless
6. Ive got the Genuine Innovations Air chuck sl co2 pump, works good...also have a blackburn hand pump as a backup...always have kept 2 spares on me, a maxxis lightweight and something a little thicker.

in my camelback i also keep a set of tire levers, patch kit, pocket knife, multitool w/ chain breaker built in, energy gels and bloks, sunscreen, and some tp (just in case)

·
Underskilled
4,747 Posts
1: any brand but camelbak
2: Get a heavy solid steel one, nothing more irritating than a light multitool breaking on a stiff bolt on the trail.
3: Park tool, expensive, but the only chain breaker that can snap a KMC chain consistently
4: Very personal choice,
5: Easy - the base of the shoes MUST be 5.10. The 5.10 basic has the best traction and is the lightest, but they wear out fast. freerider lasts a bit longer but less traction. Does not have to be their cycling specific.
6: any co2 system that can take soda stream cartridges. the cartridges will be 10% of the price.

7: the pedals are very important if you ride flats. the thinner the better, Kona Wah Wah makes a very thin pedal, but there are clones that are better. I use the superstar pedal.
superstar sells spare parts individually online, that is a huge long term cost saving.

·
Can't feel my legs
852 Posts
1: any brand but camelbak
:confused: :confused: :confused: Nothing wrong with Camelbak products.
2&3- As AZ.MTNS said "a(good quality) multi tool that has a chain tool built in"
4- Good shorts are important, but most major(cycling) clothing manufacturers offer a quality product. More important is to find a saddle that fits YOU.
5-IDK
6- Unless you are racing, and time is of huge importance, a mini-pump is a far better investment. Dual action pumps are the best IMO.
Spare tube AND patch kit.

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
Camelbak makes great products. My Topeak multi-tool has been flawless, and consistently works on my KMC X9SL chains. I own five brands of shorts, my pearl izumis are the most comfortable. You get what you pay for when it comes to shorts.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
I like the dakine water packs they work great for me and use nalgene bladders, I like the cheap KMC links (don't use them for anything but an emergency)

·
Registered
246 Posts
1. most will recommend camelbak mule, i myself have one.
2. i just carry a set of hex keys and screwdriver...
3. try finding a multi-tool with a chain tool
4. i have a pair of fox ranger shorts (not too long, how i like it)
5. alway hear good things about 5 10 shoes.
6. lezyne... the one i have has a detachable adapter for schrader or presta. conveniently screws into the pump for stowing, i wouldn't recommend anything else for a trail pump.

other: powerlink, tire levers, and tubes? patch kit is useful, but in my opinion it's so much faster to just change tubes, then patch the busted tubes when you get home.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
ScShaffer said:
1. Camelbak- for water and room to store gear

2. Bike multi-tool whats the best for my bike

3. Chain breaker whats good and whats a good set of extra links to carry

4. This questions is for the guys what is the best set of bike shorts with some padding to help take some of the beating off the boys :madman:

5 best shoes for someone not using clip in type petals

6. what is a good brand of spare tire and a pump or Co2 fill system

1. I don't use a hydration pack anymore. I have a couple bottle cages on my bike. Although on a four-hour ride I might wear my little Da Kine pack if I couldn't refill.

2. I have this one.

It's the Topeak Hexus 16. I like it that it's got hexes, screwdrivers, a torx (for many disc brake bolts, including mine) a chain breaker, tire levers and even spoke wrench flats on one lever.

3. See above for tool. I typically carry a powerlink as well. If you're worried about shortening your chain, you can use the extra links you removed when you installed it, but you'd need a second removable link or some spare pins or something to make that work. Too much of a PITA for me.

4. My preferred pairs are both Pearl Izumi. Don't cheap out and get the Performance Century shorts. They'll wear a hole in your butt.

5. Trail runners? I don't think you really need to go out and buy shoes. Just wear the stiffest low-top athletic shoe you have.

6. Brand on a tube isn't that relevant. Make sure it has the right type of valve, though. I'd just stick with whatever's on there - they both work, and the main advantage to Presta is the smaller hole in the rim imho. Carry two, or take a patch kit. Ten miles is a bummer of a walk if you didn't find the piece of debris that killed your first tube.

I use a seat wedge to carry my tubes and power link. I have too many bikes, so I use one set of paraphernalia on most of them, but they use different tubes and have different drivetrains, so each bike gets its own tubes and power link that stays with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts