Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for a 29er TREK. Where to get them (not off Ebay--cause I know someone who bought one advertised as New, then had to do a Full rebuild)---But who has them 'Cheap'??

Anyone know (and how much they go for?)---i just see them online for $850 (the basic Fox RL or SID)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Are you looking to upgrade, or just planning for when yours eventually wears out? I have heard that the stock fork on the AL Elite is decent.

Fox will upgrade your fork -- they can add things like FIT, adjustible compression damping, and Kashima coating.

There are two independant companies that upgrade them as well. Can't remember the name, but google & you'll find it.

Might be worth considering when time to rebuild. But for now, the RL fork is a huge upgrade over the pogo stick or rigid fork I have been riding :)

Does anyone know how many miles/hours the fork should go before being serviced?

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks---i hear that every season it is good to overhaul your fork (Fox sooner than Reba's also.)

When I overhauled mine they did an upgrade to the damper...

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I have a new one off of my 2012 Superfly 100 Al. 1 1/8th" straight, 8 " long steerer, black, QR. I swapped to a Fox TALAS Kashima, so this one is new - $350 + Shipping.

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that an E2 fork? Those are tapered (not straight on the 2012's)---

--Thanks, but I know someone who bought a 'take off' from a new frame and it had to have a 'complete rebuild'---so I have to buy Forks new.... With a used frame I know what I'm getting (but not with a used fork)

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
It is a straight steerer, but the head tube is E2. The crown race had the 1.5 bearing diameter with the 1.125 crown race diameter. The fork worked fine on the test ride, lock out worked, no leaks, etc. I'd prefer to sell it locally, but offered it up here because you were looking.
Any Fox dealer can get the G2 forks. QBP and Trek stock G2 Rock Shox, so almost any bike shop can get those. The last I knew, Manitou's offset was around 48 mm, pretty close to G2's 51. I have used a non-G2 Rock Shox 46mm offset with minor effects on handling. That's how many on the trek-Subaru team run them.

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks (that was a Great reply) but I just don't trust 'take offs' anymore..

I was looking to see if someone sold G2 Forks Aftermarket for cheaper than the bike shops would (still waiting to hear from them how much they cost.)

With this new Superfly frame I am going to run my old fork (REBA 46mm) until I can get a G2 fork for it.

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would you know how much they are selling the G2 Fox Floats for?

I am going to get that FOX fork (for this build) and then my next bike (Fully) will be a new Superfly 100 (in a year or so) and they have the Fox Forks (so just want to keep them stock with the forks)----

Also I am starting to see the more 'new' Superfly frames on Ebay now (warranty replacements I guess)---

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Trek doesn't carry Fox forks, but Fox will sell G2 forks to any authorized Fox dealer. The price sheet I have says $760 for a 2012 32 FLOAT 29 100 RLC FIT 51MM OFFSET KASHIMA WHITE;
$810 for 2012 32 FLOAT 29 100 RLC FIT 15QR 1.5 TAPER 51MM OFFSET KASHIMA WHITE; and $910 for 2012 32 TALAS 29 120 RLC FIT 15QR 1.5 TAPER 51MM OFFSET KASHIMA BLACK. I don't know how much a standard non-Kashima fork goes for but new take-offs go for $350 ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a new one off of my 2012 Superfly 100 Al. 1 1/8th" straight, 8 " long steerer, black, QR. I swapped to a Fox TALAS Kashima, so this one is new - $350 + Shipping.
Sorry don't mean to ask this here but I can't PM yet... Do you still have this fork available for sale? I'd like to discuss it more with you if you do.
Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts