Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your Vote Counts, please help...

I currently ride an '08 Sepcialized Stumpjumper hardtail. I primarily ride Marin Headlands and Mt. Tamalpais as I can ride to those rides - which I do a minimum of three times a week.

What bike type should I get next? My three serious contenders are a new FS, a roadbike or a cross bike.

Factors to consider:
1. I want to and will continue to primarily ride where I already do - see above.
2. I would like to commute to work once a week (30 miles roundtrip)
3. I would like to ride road because I have a couple friends to ride with and all my MTB riding friends say it is a good compliment to my trail riding and insist it will improve my speed and skills on the hill. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What say ye...?

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Cross bike

if you are only riding Mt. Tam and Headlands a full suspension bike is over kill and with a cross bike you can create epic mixed terrain rides throughout Marin.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,034 Posts
Put skinny tires on your hardtail, and you got your cross bike. Then, get a nice 5" dualie. FS rocks!

·
I Void Waranties
541 Posts
take the car and spend the extra time drinking beer.

in all honesty sounds like all you need is a set of skinny slicks on your HT

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Sell the HT. Buy a 5" FS MTB and a CX bike. Yes, your bikes will be sometimes overkill and sometimes underkill (not a word) but you will never be able to turn down a ride in the bay area because you don't have a suitable bike.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
zorg said:
Put skinny tires on your hardtail, and you got your cross bike. Then, get a nice 5" dualie. FS rocks!
Yes, this is the correct answer. You can even get a set of CX wheels with disk hubs and put them on the hardtail. I did it and it made for an awesome commuter. My woman has that same setup now and prefers it over the CX bike for commuting.
Then get an Ibis Mojo for dirt.

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
dan51 said:
Yes, this is the correct answer. You can even get a set of CX wheels with disk hubs and put them on the hardtail. I did it and it made for an awesome commuter. My woman has that same setup now and prefers it over the CX bike for commuting.
Then get an Ibis Mojo for dirt.
N O T the SAME as a CX rig!!!!

and the only reason your lady likes it better is because her CX rig was stoled :p

;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Carl Hungus said:
Sell the HT. Buy a 5" FS MTB and a CX bike. Yes, your bikes will be sometimes overkill and sometimes underkill (not a word) but you will never be able to turn down a ride in the bay area because you don't have a suitable bike.
I agree. I have 5" FS that I use for trail riding and cross country racing. I have a cross bike that I convert into a road bike during spring and summer, and back into a cross bike during fall and winter (it is really only a wheel swap away from hitting the trails, but during the CX season it's a single ring). But if a FS is not in the budget, get the CX for it's versatility.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sell the hardtail and get a full suspension bike and a road bike. That way, you're doing both sports right. Granted, a dualie isn't necessary for a lot of trails on Tam and the headlands, but going down is more fun on a dualie, and to me, that's the fun part of mountain biking. The uphill part is to keep the beer belly in check.

·
Registered
342 Posts
CX. Good for everything.

Get a cross bike with eyelets for a rack. Now you have a bike that works offroad, on road, and commuting. Want to ride with your road buddies... get another set of tires.

·
SocialClimber
38 Posts
Yet another opinion...

Buy all three:thumbsup:

Seriously, though, if you are a mountain biker who just needs a commuter, then do as some suggest and convert your HT, and buy a nice new FS bike.

If you are looking to switch up your riding, get a road bike. Marin has some of the best road riding around, and you will find yourself out riding far more on a road bike.

I would skip the CX bike, as it is just a poor second at either road or MTB. I have all three and almost never ride my cross bike. If I am on dirt, I take the FS. If I am on the road, I take the road bike.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
get a road bike, no doubts about it. it will train your stamina like crazy and your climbing will improve tremendously. you've already got a bike for the dirt, whats the point of a cx when you've already got a hardtail? it'll be slower on the road, not as fun in the dirt, and unless you plan on doing some serious cx racing (which 90% of cx owners don't), stick with the roadie.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts