Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Canadian Invasion
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Freeride Wheels...Syncros, Hadley?

I'm in the market for a new wheelset for my Rocky Mountain Switch. I use it for freeride and dirt jump, but I do everything with it as well, including climb....even though its a heafty 44 lbs. Currently I have the stock Mavic 325 Disc rims, with shimano hubs and Marzocchi tires.

I want a bomb-proof wheel that might be a bit lighter than my current setup. But still able to handle hucking 8-10' and hard DJ crashes. I'm also kind of a style snob (I know...) and wouldnt mind some white rims, and gold hubs. I was thinking the syncros freeride rims, with gold hadleys. But now I'm starting to look at the Industry Nine wheels, as well as Funn hubs, and Sunn MTX rims.

Anyone have any advise? I'm leaning towards the Syncros/Hadley setup, and I wonder how much better the hadley hubs are than the syncros hubs. It might be easier just to get the whole syncros wheelset.

As far as tires, I'm thinking Minions. Ive ridden my friends and I like the way they hook up in the So-cal loose/dry.

Thanks for any input!

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
If you live in a place that is dry as a bone all the time, get the hadleys. If not, go DT Swiss. From my experience, Hadley has great CS but not that great a product. DT Swiss on the other hand is quality, quality, quality with excellant CS as well for a similar price or better. Set it and forget it.

·
Canadian Invasion
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your feedback. What makes Hadley not a great product? From what I've read they are supposed to be the best hubs made? Titanium, etc.? I'll check into the DT swiss. My friend with the minions has the Hugi FR hubs and has no problems. I'd like a louder hub, but thats just trivial.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a Hadley rear hub and have been hucking 7 ft drops and racing DH for 4 years with it. I only lubed the freehub once and tightened up the bearing pre-load 2 times. I have been using a DT-Swiss/Hayes front hub for 6 years of DH racing. Hadley and DT-Swiss are great hubs. I have special ordered special configurations of Hadley rear hubs for the different types of DH frames for floating brakes and different axle sizes for my customers.

Erik,

www.balleracing.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.