Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a NEW hardtail freeride frame under 500. I dont do anything real big, light freeriding. What frame would u suggest? I ride a fs now and want to go back to hardtail for some unknown reason.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
fsdjer said:
I am looking to buy a NEW hardtail freeride frame under 500. I dont do anything real big, light freeriding. What frame would u suggest? I ride a fs now and want to go back to hardtail for some unknown reason.
azonic steelhead if you want low price with performance and banshee scirocco if you want light weight with durability.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was on my list but I am trying to expand the list a little so i have a wider range of chocies before i narrow it down, cuz i wanna put my money were it will count.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
NRTH SHORE said:
is it me or does the tubing look a little on the light side.?
I'd guess that it's you. :D

but seriously, steel tubes do not need to be as large diameter as aluminum to have the same sturdy properties like longitudinal and torsional strength.

DMR Trailstars are burly-arse DJ frames and they are small diameter 4130 CrMo tubing. they hold up fine.

so really, it's a case of "looks are deceiving."

·
Registered
158 Posts
you'd want the pro XL. It's the biggest size. I am 6' 3'' and it's fine. My cousin who is 5' 10'' rocks the pro xl as well. About it looking weak :p It is not made from puney almuinum. It's a very very solid frame. Def the best budget fr frame. Now, if you want to hardcore FR, check out the banshee morphine.

·
Registered
158 Posts
the ONLY problem i need to "forwarn" you about is the Horizontal drop outs.

Pro: Don't need a de-railer, no wicked chain slap.
Con: needs chain tensioners, the quick realease becomes damn near useless. Rear calipere creates a hassele when trying to take it off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Can I run a rear derailer? What do you mean the caliper gets in the way? Someone told me about a company called transition bikes. have u ever heard of them? Also what about the rear quick release. look at transition bikes.com and look at the trail or park frame and lemme know what u think

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Steel hardtails

My sugestion would be to wait a few months untill october for all the new 2005 product.
With big hitters in the hardtail world like Evil, Nemesis Project, Endless ETC. coming out with new steel bikes it's better to wait a few months.
The Evil site has info on there new D.O.C frame and the Sovereign they both look sick!

·
Registered
158 Posts
yes you can run a derailer... i get some close ups, but it acutally has the horizontal drop outs and a spot for your d.rer. That's what i am swtiching too. Acutally i am switching to a "singulator" like a derailer but for SS. So you keep all the benifits of quick realese technology and don't have to put up w/ chain tensioner Bull sh!z.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Get a Transition

Look up Transitions trail-or-park. You can put an 8in fork if you want it. It also has a life time warranty. And lastly it is cheap 400 bucks. Not as cheap as Azonic but worth looking in too

·
All show all the time
60 Posts
Transition Trail-or-Park

the kid said:
Look up Transitions trail-or-park. You can put an 8in fork if you want it. It also has a life time warranty. And lastly it is cheap 400 bucks. Not as cheap as Azoni_c but worth looking in too
I will second the Trail-or-Park recomendation. I have one, and its a lot of fun. Check it out:

http://www.transitionbikes.com/TrailorPark.cfm

Kyle and Kevin, who own Transition, are really great guys to buy a bike from too.

·
All show all the time
60 Posts
fsdjer said:
[
Showtime: How do u have the trail or park set up? How does it perform. Would i be able to do the occasional xc ride on it?
Right now it is set up with 3 piece chromo cranks, single speed, and a 5" travel fork, but I am actually considering putting gears on it and making it more of a trail bike. It will work fine for the occasional XC ride. The frame is heavy, so its not a XC racer by any means, but it should work great for trail riding. I actually just went on a 10 mile "road" ride (crusing on a paved path) with it last night, set up this way. The geometry is really nice for trail riding, I have done a few XC-ish rides on it (Single speed).I mainly much use it for DJ, urban and park stuff. Over all, its a really fun bike.

Here is a picture of it (before I broke the 4" travel fork that is in the pic):
My Trail-Or-Park

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

·
I need more time
157 Posts
cove stiffie fr

£499 pounds dont know what that is in dollars $910 or so.

EDIT: oops i'm so used to converting from dollars to pounds. (i had it down as about $300 got them mixed up) sorry too dear but it is a cool frame tho. soz

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im sure they will have the trail or park next year. i doubt they will change anything, since the company is only a few years old. If they do make changes the frame wont be released till late this year october november ish. I am prob gunna get the trail or park or steel head, maybe a chameleon

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.