Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a pretty much stock Mongoose XR comp, Nothing specail by any means but its pretty heavy about 40 pounds.

I have juicy 5 on it and thats the only thing i upgraded on it.

It had decent parts, Sram X4 Shifters and D's.
and so fare the rims seem to be decent.

My question is what would be a good frame for me to swap most of my stuff over minus frame/rear shock. I will be getting a new fork some time in the near future. I used to have a Specilized Big HIt, Loved the bike used to take it off any thing and anything, But it go to small for me so sold it a few years ago(that bike was also pretty heavy)

I want something lighter then what i have but still strong enough. I would classify my ridding as all mountian/Free ride. I used to do 10-12 stairs on my old big it but also take it on single tracks and xc style riding.

The mongoose alought not the best bike is doing decent, just a little heavy and dont really like the handling with the crappy rear shock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Santa Cruz Heckler

If you can find a good deal on a Santa Cruz Heckler, that would be my recommendation. It can be set up to take big bumps but is an awesome XC bike. I think you're going to get a lot of opinions on this questions. There's lot's of great choices.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats the weight on that frame, and also it will make a big difference if i can shave 8-9 pounds on a better frame correct

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
lousieg55 said:
Whats the weight on that frame, and also it will make a big difference if i can shave 8-9 pounds on a better frame correct
What does the Mongoose frame weigh? Is it a "department store" bike? (I tried to look it up on BikePedia, but came up empty.)

But, in answer to your question, yeah, if you can shave 8-9 lbs from the frame alone, that's a big deal. I'd be more than a little surprised if you ended up with this much weight savings though.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
lousieg55 said:
It ways about 40 pounds,
Hold on; are you wanting to get an entirely new bike? Or just a frame to which you can transfer your existing components (fork, cranks, derailleurs, brakes, wheels, etc.)?

The reason I ask is that when I asked you how much your current frame weighs, you answered 40 pounds. It seems unlikely to me that the frame alone weighs 40 pounds, whereas I have no trouble at all believing that the entire bike weighs 40 pounds.

An 8-9 pound reduction in weight of the entire bike is easily achievable, especially if you purchase a new bike with good components, but an 8-9 pound reduction in the weight of the frame is much less likely. (Most frames are in the 4-7 lb range.)

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Sette Reken will cost you about 110 shipped from Pricepoint.com you should be able to swap most of the stuff on to it. You will need a tool set, to remove all the pieces. Again Sette has a good beginners set goes for just under 50 bucks which has pretty much anything you will need. Then you have to make sure the old Bottom bracket is the same size, and that the steerer tube will fit the new frame and wont be too short. You can save all kinds of weight by switching to a hard tail frame, it will just take a good amount of work on your part.

·
Registered
974 Posts
The rear suspension is costly on a bike, therefore the frame will cost more then you think. Plus, most bike companies only sell the high end and carbon frames if you want the frame only. You are looking to buy a good frame for a crappy bike. I know you bought juicy brakes and don't want to waste them, but you will spend much more on a frame, that you could just spend on a entirely new bike. This bike costs $389 at Walmart. You will not be able to get a full suspension frame for less then the cost of the entire bike.

I don't want to crush your dreams, but I went through this when my K2 frame went bad. I had all these xt parts that where in great condition, but after I priced out getting a new frame and new fork, it cost less to buy a new bike.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
974 Posts
Well, first you should decide on a few things:

1.how important is full suspension to you?
2.how much can you spend?
3.what kind of riding do you want to do?
4.how much of your current parts do you really want to keep? Are they worth keeping?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mlepito said:
Well, first you should decide on a few things:

1.how important is full suspension to you?
2.how much can you spend?
3.what kind of riding do you want to do?
4.how much of your current parts do you really want to keep? Are they worth keeping?
1. I would like full suspension, Dont think i want to build a bike thats not full suspension
2. My limit on frame is 400-500(still have to get a front fork)
3. I used to do big jumps, Dh style, But now more xc/all mountain with some drop offs once in a while i guess.
4. Ill keep everything and as the money comes in/stuff brakes ill upgrade to better.

I figure im in it 350-400 so fare, got the bike for 200, plus new brakes ect, But i can get a new frame, transfer this stuff over, get a new fork as the money goes in, its my way of a payment plane so i dont have to drop the 2k on a bike

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I don't know much about it, but the Sette Flite Am is within your budget. It'll give you six inches of travel, weighs 6.7lbs, costs $400, and has a 5 year warranty.

It's a least an order of magnitude better than what you have now.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I think either one of those frames is going to work well for you. I like the idea of the warranty. Make sure you budget in getting the headset pressed. It usually costs about 50 bucks. I would get a new headset too. I wouldn't trust the one off the old bike. Make sure if you get a 6 inch travel rear, you get close to that in the front, or the bike won't travel like it is intended. These frames are pretty sweet, so you may want to look at the Tora line of shocks. I personally wouldn't get a Dart or suntour or anything like that. I really like Fox, but they cost a lot when you get them separate.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
mlepito said:
Make sure you budget in getting the headset pressed. It usually costs about 50 bucks. I would get a new headset too. I wouldn't trust the one off the old bike.
I agree that lousieg55 should get a new headset for the new frame. It may be necessary anyway because the headset in his current frame might not be compatible with the new frame.

Check out Nate's post showing how to make and use your own DIY headset press. I've used this technique and it works great.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure what frame yet the one comes with head set, and free shipping right there is like 60-80 bucks free at least.

Also going to go with the rock shox u coil 318 tora i think its called

1 - 19 of 19 Posts