Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my beloved '01 Stumpy hardtail in for its winter service, and I'm told it has a cracked seat tube. Have I gained that much weight? :D
Thanks to Specialized still believing in lifetime frame warrantees, I will likely have a decision to make. Either get a new hardtail frame and mix some new components in with the old from my old bike (wheels, shifters/levers & drivetrain are mostly original), or accept an allowance from the LBS and spend some $$ on a new Specialized product. I have always preferred hardtails (old dog can't apparently learn new tricks), and actually demo'd an Epic a few months ago and didn't much care for it. But, this has me wondering whether I should consider upgrading to an FS bike of some sort (maybe a Stumpy FSR?)
So I'm asking the forum readers, what would you do in my shoes? I live in piedmont NC, take a trip or two to the NC mts. every year, but ride locally most of the time.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
What did you not like about the epic? If you don't like suspension, then you may not like the stump fsr. Any non-brain model will not ride as firm as the Epic will. If you are considering sticking with a hardtail have you considered the 29er?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CHSAD said:
What did you not like about the epic? If you don't like suspension, then you may not like the stump fsr. Any non-brain model will not ride as firm as the Epic will. If you are considering sticking with a hardtail have you considered the 29er?
I'm so used to the "feedback" (or "beating," as many would call it) one gets on an aluminum hardtail that the Epic felt dead to me, and this was on a rooty hilly trail. Also felt (and I know from reading reviews that this is not supposed to be the case) a lot of bob when standing and pedaling on climbs. The stumpy FSR has a rear fork lockout, which sounds appealing. What's the weight differential between the M5 Epic vs the M5 FSR?
As for hardtail, yeah, the 29er frame looks pretty appealing, and I'm a big guy so a rather large frame is fine.
I appreciate hearing your views.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
It would be a waste to get the stump just to lock it out, on a bike that with the propedal on there should be minimal bob. If you experiened tremendous bob on the epic perhaps the shock wasn't in the firm setting. Riding a full susoension rig takes some getting used to if you have been riding a hardtail for so long. That said there is nothing wrong with just getting another hardtail. You know you like them. Also give the 29er a chance. If you are big it should fit fine and the big wheels are like adding suspension (minus the bob).

·
Spear & Magic Helmet
305 Posts
Just went through a lot of the same issues myself in going from a hardtail (Trek 9.8) to FS. I went with a short travel full sus because it did feel more like a hard tail. I agree, though, that going from a hardtail to a full sus you will notice pedal bob. Look down and you will see movement of the linkage. Rest assured you will get used to it. The benefits of the full suspension are real, though. My local trail has a lot of hard broken surface that transmits as a very fine chatter. It saps energy and shortens your ride. I notice I have a lot more energy to tackle the fun stuff. I've ridden a few 29ers. I must say that I don't really buy all the hype. I'm 6'2" so the size should be good for me. The 29 hardtails are a bit smoother over the bumpy stuff, but not to the extent that it would replace a rear suspension. There is a bit more effort to get the wheels to change their state of motion. The big wheels do roll through sand much better than 26.

Best thing I did was to invest a little money and demo a bunch of bikes from my LBS. I really liked the Yetis (ASR and 575) but ended up with a used '06 Epic for economic reasons. I can, and have, gotten the Epic set up so that it feels very much like a hardtail, though I ride it now with a bit more rear suspension. Anyway, ride what is fun, that's what biking is supposed to be about. Demo a bunch of bikes from the shop - even if it is not Specialized. They may let you take the replacement frame and trade it back to them for store credit if you like another brand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Decision made

Thanks, everybody, for the advice. The LBS ended up having a new Stumpy HT M5 frame shipped, and economically it makes the most sense to just build that up with a mix of old and new parts. I'm used to a hardtail, and this frame is definitely lighter than my previous M2 (I said earlier I cracked an '01, it was actually a '00 that I bought in '01). So, I'm retaining wheels, brakes, saddle, drivetrain and fork (all in good enough shape--I think it's my 3rd fork, I know it's my 4th saddle), swapping out seatpost, brake levers & bar. Still a significant upgrade, for not much money. Switching to discs would have required new wheels & hubs, so even that's on the back burner for now.

So, if you're riding in the Charlotte area and see a guy on a sweet new Stumpy HT frame with ratty old parts on it, holler at me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.