Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put in 2 1/2 seasons on my Rig. I dig the SS thing and have not touched my geared bike in months. I am ready for a new nicer ride, I'm debating if i should replace the bike or the frame . I think that I'd like to go steel. My two main concerns are getting a bike that fits better (I feel a bit high on the rig) and any advice on getting a bike that fits without being able to try them out (or at least getting on the right track).The bike shops where I live are great but I don't think that any should be subjected to brining in a bike just for me to test once or twice. I was thinking that if I just got a frame that if it didn't work out I could sell it. I confess that I do not suffer from upgradeitis and generally just ride whats on the bike until it dies so building up a bike is not really my idea of fun. However I would like to get a solid enough ride that if I do succumb to upgradeitis I have a worthwhile platform to build upon.

That's alot of question isn't it?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think you're idea of buying a frame and then selling it if it doesn't work is okay but expect to lose money. What's your budget? You can get a custom or semi-custom steel frame from a lot of builders in the $1000 to $1500 range. Also, if you can wait until spring, look for demo's at events like Sea Otter.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
I think for general fit if you feel like you're sitting high and leaning forward your seat tube length is likely too small and you have to jack the seat WAY up to compensate. Sounds like you need a bigger frame, EX: L if you're using M, 18" if you're riding 16", etc... Reach to the bars can be adjusted more easily with a longer or shorter stem, but a frame that is too small just sucks.

Course its hard to tell without sitting on them, but you can look at the specs of your current ride and compare. Should get you closer than just guessing. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts