Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right forum for this question.

I have an old Cannondale Delta V with Shimano Deore LX components that I bought back around 1994. Someone gave me a Haro Extreme H2 frame. I started riding again after a long break and want to upgrade to full suspension, disc brakes, etc. I'm trying to build a new bike out the Haro frame and was thinking about using as many parts off the Cannondale as I could to do it on the ultra cheap (shifters/brake levers, derailers, cranks).

Parts sure have changed since I used to ride a lot. I'm not sure what is compatible any more. I know I will need new wheels/hubs for the disc brakes. Will my Deore LX cassette fit on the newer hubs? Will it all fit on the frame? Will my old LX brake levers work with a mechanical caliper? Give me your opinions. You won't hurt my feelings.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
It may end up being more trouble than it's worth.
If you want to use your old levers with new mechanical discs, you'll need a device called a "travel agent". I'm assuming your brake levers are integrated with your shifters, otherwise you can just get some new levers pretty cheap.
You can probably use your old cranks, but if the bottom bracket shell width is different, you will need a new bottom bracket (I'm not real familiar with C-dales, I'm assuming a standard square-taper crank setup that would have been common in 94).
If your old drive train is 7-speed, you will need to put a spacer on the new hub before you install the cassette. If it's 8-speed, you can just install it normally. Your rear derailleur should work fine (assuming it works fine now) but you'll have to see if your front derailleur matches the new frame.
You'll need to check seatpost size to see if you can reuse your current seatpost (and clamp) on your new frame. You can probably reuse your old bars, but I'm not sure what type of stem your cannondale would have.

Unless your new frame came with a shock and fork, you may be better off just looking for a good deal on a new or used complete bike.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.